This instant pot apple butter chicken is a delicious dish that you can make in just 20 minutes from start to finish! Dairy-free, gluten-free.
An incredibly easy, flavor-packed dinner.
I usually don’t like to make recipes for dinner that involve sugar, as I’m more a fan of savory meals. I also don’t think added sugar is necessary in a lot of cases, except in the occasional dessert.
With that being said, there is something so special about this spiced apple butter chicken that every once in awhile, I decide to break the rules.
Ever since I got my instant pot, I’ve just loved how easy it is to cook chicken. It comes out so tender that all you need are a couple forks to shred it up.
You’ll want to use chicken tenderloins for this recipe, since they’re small in size and cook up quickly in the instant pot. Put 1 cup of water in the bottom of the instant pot and set the chicken on the rack that comes with the instant pot in a single layer.
Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes, then gently switch the pressure release to “venting”. Once the silver float valve drops, carefully open the lid. Shred up the chicken and add to a bowl.
Mix in your apple butter and stir well. Any brand will work, but I generally recommend the ones without added high fructose corn syrup. Then, all you need are a couple side dishes and you have a full meal already!
Side dish ideas
This instant pot apple butter chicken would also pair very nicely with some sweet potato tortillas.
Or, if you’re in the mood for more of a one-pot meal, you could mix in some additional apple chunks or sweet potato cubes while cooking the chicken, and then toss the apple butter atop all of it.
You could also substitute the apple chicken sausage for the apple butter chicken in this sweet potato chicken sausage skillet recipe. This was a huge hit in this house!
In terms of storage, if you don’t eat it all at once, then it should store just fine in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The flavor of apple butter is not strong enough, should I add more sauce?
You certainly can add enough sauce to suit your taste. I try to not overdo it, but I understand that everyone is different, so if you need to add a little more sauce to make you happy, then go for it. Just be sure to recalculate the nutrition facts, if that is important to you.
You may also enjoy:
Instant Pot Apple Butter Chicken
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch fresh-cracked pepper
- To the bottom of an instant pot, add 1 cup of water. Add in rack and spread 1 lb of chicken tenderloins out in a single layer.
- Place lid on instant pot. Make sure the lever on the lid is set to "sealing". Set on high for 10 minutes. If using frozen chicken tenderloins, use 12 minutes.
- Once chicken is done cooking, allow to naturally release for 2 minutes, then switch lever to "venting". Be careful not to get hot steam on your hands, I suggest using an oven mit when switching the lever. Allow float valve to go down, then carefully remove lid.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl and shred. It shouldn't take much effort to shred it, a fork should be sufficient. Mix in apple butter, salt and pepper. Enjoy.
- Store in the fridge in an air-tight container for 3-4 days before consuming.