A delicious side dish, this apple cabbage slaw is tasty and super-simple to make! Paleo, Whole30, dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan.
A simple and delicious side dish.
Side dishes are kind of my jam. I feel like if you can keep a good rotation of delicious side dishes going, then eating healthy is one step easier.
Eating frozen veggies gets boring quickly, am I right? No one really looks forward to that bag of frozen green beans as a side. So if you want more flavorful side dishes, but don’t know where to start, you stumbled into the right place!
This apple cabbage slaw is an easy and delicious side dish. Even better, it doesn’t require any baking or sauteing or anything! Gotta love recipes that take just a few minutes to prepare.
Ready in less than 10 minutes!
For this slaw, you will need several fresh ingredients. These include a small red cabbage, a carrot and an apple. You’ll want to chop each of them up finely. For the carrot and apple, a grater works great if you have one.
Simply mix the shredded cabbage, carrot and apple with mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar and salt. If you’re an ingredient fanatic like me, you can make your own 3-ingredient mayo using ingredients you likely already have in your house.
Mix it all together and place into the fridge to chill until ready to consume. It’s seriously that easy!
Can I use green cabbage instead of red?
You certainly can. I like red cabbages for the pop of color, and because they are often smaller than green cabbages. You only need a small cabbage for this recipe, so if all you can find are large green cabbages, then set aside the rest for another recipe.
If you’re extra lazy, you could also opt for a pre-shredded cabbage mixture from the grocery store. That would cut the time down even more!
You may also enjoy:
Apple Cabbage Slaw
- 1 small head purple cabbage or a bag of premade cole slaw mix
- 1 large carrot omit if using a premade cole slaw mix
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup omit for whole30
- Chop cabbage and carrot up finely into thin strips. Alternatively, you can opt for a bag of pre-made shredded cabbage mix.
- Grate or finely chop apple.
- Add cabbage, carrot and apple to a bowl. Mix. In a small bowl, add apple cider vinegar, salt, dijon mustard and maple syrup. Mix and add into bowl with cabbage mix. Toss to coat. Place in the fridge in a covered container until ready to serve.
- Consume within 3 days.