These delicious apple cinnamon waffles are a tasty weekend breakfast. Filled with fresh apples and healthy coconut flour. Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free.
Apple cinnamon waffles…a delicious breakfast that the entire family will love!
Things have been a bit turbulent recently, so I’ve been a bit on edge for the past week or so. I’ve been trying to find the positive in all of this, and one of them is definitely that I get to cook lots of delicious yummy treats at home.
These apple cinnamon waffles are one of the recipes I have really been into lately. It’s a delicious mix of nutty from the coconut flour, tangy and sweet from the apples, and spicy from the cinnamon.
I am definitely on team waffle when it comes to breakfast treats. I also made these delicious cheddar zucchini waffles and low-carb protein waffles recently, with my new mini waffle maker. It has been one of my favorite purchases this year, for sure.
Naturally sweet, and easy to make too!
These waffles are great because the batter can be easily mixed in one bowl, and then immediately added to the waffle maker. No down time needed for rising or setting as with some waffle batter recipes.
To start, you’ll need coconut flour, a sweetener of your choice if desired (more on that below), cinnamon, eggs, vanilla extract, and an apple chopped into small cubes.
Mix the coconut flour, sweetener and cinnamon in a bowl. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract, and mix until smooth with no clumps remaining. Add in the apple cubes.
To a heated waffle maker, spray with non-stick spray, and add in the batter. You may find depending on your waffle maker and the size of the apple chunks, that you need to push a little harder than usual to close the waffle maker. Be gentle so you don’t break it. I find that giving it 20-30 seconds, then pushing down is helpful, after the apples have softened a bit.
Once the waffle is cooked, remove from waffle maker and repeat until the batter is used up.
Can I use almond flour instead of coconut flour?
Yes, you can! I typically find that you can substitute almond flour for coconut flour in approximately a 4:1 ratio. So since this recipe calls for 1/4 cup of coconut flour, you should be able to substitute it for 1 cup of almond flour. I generally recommend the finely ground blanched almond flour for the best taste and texture.
What sweetener do you recommend?
Are you following a lower-carb approach? Paleo? It depends on your goals.
If keeping carbs down is important to you, I recommend an erythritol-based granulated sweetener, or an erythritol and stevia blend.
If you are not as concerned with carbs, the next-healthiest option is to use coconut sugar, which you should be able to find in most grocery stores these days.
If you can’t find it, then regular table sugar will do.
If you generally eat healthier and with less added sugar, you may also find that the added sweetener is not needed, especially if you plan to use maple syrup on top. The apples themselves add quite a bit of sweetness already, in my opinion.
You may also enjoy:
Apple Cinnamon Waffles
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (28 g)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sweetener, if desired for additional sweetness (24 g)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium apple, cut into small 1/4 inch (7 mm) cubes
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Mix coconut flour in a bowl, with granulated sweetener (optional, for additional sweetness) and ground cinnamon. Add in eggs and vanilla extract. Stir until well-incorporated.
- Fold apples in, and mix one more time.
- Spray waffle maker with non-stick spray (I like the olive oil and coconut oil based sprays). Add in enough batter to fill your waffle maker roughly 2/3 of the way. This amount will vary depending on the size of your waffle maker. Close waffle maker. You may have to push it down a little harder than usual to get it to close around the apple chunks. Be gentle so you don't break your waffle maker.
- Cook until waffle has browned, approximately 4-5 minutes, depending on waffle maker size. Remove and repeat until batter is used up.
- Top with your favorite syrup and enjoy!