I recently had chicken fajitas while on vacation and they were so fantastic, I just had to try to recreate the recipe for myself. Fajitas are one of those meals that are so easy and versatile.
You can eat them as is, which is great for those of you who are Paleo or on the Whole30 program. You could also serve them with a side of rice and beans, or in a tortilla, so many options!
These baked chicken fajitas are possibly one of the easiest recipes you could make, and definitely the easiest fajitas you will find.
Baked chicken fajitas are even easier than the skillet variety, since there is just a small amount of prep time required at the beginning, then the oven does all of the hard work.
That also means that these are a perfect option while entertaining guests – you can prep the meal ahead of time, and then pop it in the oven when your guests arrive. A short while later, dinner is served!
These baked chicken fajitas are such an incredibly vibrant feast for your eyes, and of course a delicious meal for your taste buds too!
Baked Chicken Fajitas (Whole30, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free)
- 4 peppers sliced with ribs and seeds removed, any color
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 onion diced
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- tsp For seasoning mix: 2each of chili powder and cumin 1each of garlic, onion and paprika
- Cheese for topping if desired
- pinch salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray an 11 x 16 oven-safe dish with nonstick spray or coat with coconut oil
- In a small bowl, mix all seasoning ingredients together.
- Place sliced peppers, chopped onions and diced tomatoes into the oven-safe dish and coat with half of the seasoning mix.
- Coat chicken with remaining half of seasoning mix.
- Place the seasoned chicken on top of the vegetables in the dish. Season everything with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes. Check that the chicken is cooked (165F) at the end, since oven time may vary. If desired, add cheese at the end and return to oven for 5 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.