This breaded cauliflower mac and cheese will squash your mac and cheese cravings for sure! Low-carb, ketogenic, gluten-free, grain-free!
Who doesn’t love deliciously creamy homemade mac and cheese? Especially the kind with that awesome crunch on top. So scrumptious! For those of us who are following a gluten-free, grain-free, or low-carb way of eating, sometimes all we want is a delicious dinner that somewhat resembles the carb-filled comfort foods of our past. This breaded cauliflower mac and cheese certainly satisfies that craving.
This breaded cauliflower mac and cheese is pretty easy to make. First, you’ll start by heating some cream, Parmesan cheese, butter and shredded cheese in a pan on the stove to create the amazingly creamy and thick cheese sauce. Heavy cream or coconut milk (full fat) both work well here.
If you’re trying to cut back on your dairy consumption, I highly recommend the coconut milk here. You can’t taste it at all in the sauce, and it still provides that delicious creaminess that is so desirable in a mac and cheese sauce. Two cups of cream is recommended, or one whole can of coconut milk.
If you use cream, be sure not to let the sauce boil or the cream will begin to curdle. It’s best to keep the heat to a low simmer anyway, so you do not get any sticking or burning.
You can use whatever kind of shredded cheese you like, but my personal favorite is extra sharp cheddar. Stir continuously until the cheese is all melted. Add in some Dijon mustard and salt and stir until incorporated. You can also add in some crumbled precooked bacon if you’d like.
While the sauce is heating up, chop up the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Once the sauce is done, add the cauliflower into the pot and stir until the pieces are fully coated. Add cheesy cauliflower to an oven-safe dish.
For the breaded topping, begin by adding the remaining butter to a small pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add in the almond meal and remaining Parmesan cheese and stir until it begins to brown, about 3-5 minutes. Top the cauliflower with the breading.
Pop in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes. If you like your breading extra crunchy, you can turn on the broiler for the last 5 minutes or so. Be sure to watch carefully if you do, as the breading can burn very quickly.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! I will certainly be making it again for the holidays. Be sure to leave a comment below if you try it, and let me know what you think!
Breaded Cauliflower Mac and Cheese (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Low-Carb)
Cauliflower and Sauce
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2-4 strips cooked bacon crumbled
- 4 Tbsp almond meal
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Chop cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat cream, 2 Tbsp butter, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and shredded cheddar in a pot over medium low heat until cheese has melted.
- Add in salt and dijon mustard and stir until combined. Add in precooked, crumbled bacon, if desired.
- Once cheese has all melted, add in cauliflower and stir until all pieces are coated.
- Place cheesy cauliflower in a large baking dish.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Once melted, add in almond meal and Parmesan and heat until the mixture begins to brown, about 3-5 minutes. Be sure to stir consistently so it does not burn.
- Top cauliflower mac with breading mixture.
- Place in oven and cook uncovered for 25-30 minutes. If desired, broil for the last 5 minutes to brown the breading. Be sure to watch closely because the breading will burn.