Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup used to be one of my favorite indulgences when eating out. When I was vegetarian, I was surprised to learn that it contained chicken broth! Later on, I also learned that it contained gluten. What a bummer!
Well luckily, I also learned that I could make it myself. This version is both vegetarian and gluten free, and as an added bonus, much lighter on your wallet. Come along as I make this vegetarian broccoli cheddar soup!
It’s super easy to make this vegetarian broccoli cheddar soup. All you have to do is chop up some broccoli, carrots and onions. A finer chop will yield a soup that is more like the Panera version. If you prefer a chunkier soup, you can do more of a rough chop.
This recipe will yield a large pot of soup, so be sure to use a fairly sizable pot or dutch oven. Start by melting some butter in your pot and adding in your onions. Allow them to soften for a few minutes, then add in your other veggies and cook for a few minutes more.
Next you’ll want to add in your vegetable broth and half and half. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or longer if you have the time. The longer you let it simmer, the better it will taste. Be sure not to let it boil or the half and half will begin to curdle.
Towards the end, you will want to taste test the broccoli to ensure it is cooked to your liking. Then add in your sharp cheddar cheese and coconut flour.
These will help to thicken up the vegetarian broccoli cheddar soup. You can add more flour if you want it even thicker. Mix until they are fully incorporated.
I hope you enjoy this thick and creamy vegetarian broccoli cheddar soup. It’s great on a chilly day, and the leftovers taste even better! Cleanup is a breeze, since all you need to make it is a single pot. Double win!
Be sure to comment below if you try this vegetarian broccoli cheddar soup. I would love to know what you think!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian)
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 large carrots
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour or another flour of your choice
- pinch salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Chop broccoli, carrots and onion up into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven or pot. Add in onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in broccoli and carrots, and cook until softened, about 5 more minutes.
- Add in half and half and vegetable broth and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
- Add in coconut flour to thicken the soup, as well as the sharp cheddar cheese.
- Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted and fully incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!