Are you in need of a super-crunchy, salty snack that is both keto and dairy-free? These crispy keto butter crackers are also Paleo, gluten-free, grain-free and low-carb.
Do you crave crunchy, salty snacks?
Crunchy, salty snacks are definitely my favorite type of snacks. I would totally take salty over sweet any day of the week. Keto-friendly salty snacks with a bit of crunch are something I have had trouble finding.
There are lots of crunchy cheese crisps and pork rinds out there, but I am unfortunately sensitive to both cheese and certain types of oils, so both are usually out of the question for me.
Other crunchy things are few and far between, so I knew it was time to make something myself to satisfy that urge for some crunch.
I had some blanched almond flour left over from the holidays, and recently wondered if I could make some crackers out of them. Turns out that yes, I can! And they taste DELICIOUS!
I love almond flour for it’s neutral taste and because they are one of the few nuts that I don’t react to. Almonds are low in mold, high in fat and so nutritious!
I also love how easy these are to make. I totally thought making crackers would be a cumbersome process that I would try once and then swear off forever, but it turns out that these are really very easy to make. I will be making them over and over, for sure!
To make the dough, mix almond flour, room temperature butter (or ghee) and one egg together in a bowl. Make sure the dough is mixed thoroughly.
Place dough on a sheet of parchment paper and press down to flatten. Place a second sheet of parchment paper on top, and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough. You want the dough to be approximately cracker thickness, which is somewhere around 1/6-1/8 of an inch thick (3 mm – 4 mm).
Thicker dough yields crackers that are not as crispy, or that take longer to bake. These are pretty sturdy, so you can make them fairly thin and they still hold up well.
Once rolled out to the desired thickness, remove the top layer of parchment paper and use a pizza cutter to form into 1 inch squares.
Move each square to a lined baking sheet, making sure that there is some room between each cracker. Place in a preheated oven until the edges begin to crisp up. The cook time tends to vary based on the oven and cracker thickness, so make sure to watch closely so they do not burn!
These can be stored in an air-tight container for 4-5 days or so. They are crispiest when they are fresh!
If you enjoyed these crackers, you will also love these keto snacks:
Crispy Keto Butter Crackers (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- 1-1/4 cup almond flour (140 g)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter or ghee room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, for topping crackers or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix almond flour, salted butter or ghee and an egg together in a bowl until well-mixed.
- Place dough onto a sheet of parchment paper.
- Press dough down and cover with a second sheet of parchment paper.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough out until it reaches a thickness of approximately 1/6"-1/8" (3 mm -4 mm). For a crispier cracker, thin dough out a little extra.
- Remove top sheet of parchment paper, and use a pizza cutter to slice dough into approximately 1"x1" squares (25 mm x 25 mm)
- Sprinkle salt on top of the dough, and gently press into surface of dough.
- Use the top sheet of parchment paper to line a baking sheet. Move squares to the baking sheet, ensuring that there is some space between each square.
- Bake dough for 12-16 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. For crispier crackers, you can bake an additional minute or two. NOTE: cook time varies greatly depending on your oven and the thickness. It's best to watch the crackers closely so they do not burn.
- Store in an air-tight container for 4-5 days at room temperature. These are best enjoyed in the first few days, when they are the crispiest.