A thick and creamy butternut squash soup, this dish is hearty and perfect for a chilly fall evening. Great for those who are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, Paleo, Whole30, low-carb and ketogenic.
Are you looking for a quick and easy butternut squash soup recipe? That’s right, I said quick and butternut squash in the same sentence!
Chopping up a big ol’ butternut squash is certainly not an easy task, but can be tremendously simplified by using frozen butternut squash! There ya go, the secret has been revealed.
After steaming the butternut squash and carrots in the microwave, this soup takes only 15 minutes to cook on the stove. No joke! It’s so simple, and has the same flavor as the soup you spent hours slaving away making last time.
While the butternut squash and carrots are steaming in the microwave, chop up and onion and saute it in a large pot in some butter. Once it softens a bit, add in the butternut squash and carrots.
Next, add in the canned coconut milk and vegetable or chicken broth. Allow it to come to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer until all the ingredients are nice and soft.
If you’re going for a low-carb, high-fat meal, the full-fat coconut milk is your best bet. For other diets, feel free to use whatever coconut milk you prefer.
Toss in some salt and pepper, to taste. Then take an immersion blender, or pour the soup into an upright heat-safe blender. Be careful blending hot liquids! Once the soup is nice and smooth, you are all set!
This soup goes great with a side of bread, some crackers, or a nice side salad.
If you give this butternut squash soup a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
Butternut Squash Soup (Low-Carb, Paleo, Dairy-Free)
- 2 cups butternut squash frozen is much easier (12 oz)
- 1 cup carrots frozen is much easier (6 oz)
- 1 small white onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk for low-carb, or regular coconut milk for other diets
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth (8 oz)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Microwave butternut squash and carrots.
- Chop white onion and saute in butter in a pot.
- Once white onion is softened, add in cooked butternut squash and carrots.
- Add in coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer until ingredients are soft, another 5 minutes or so.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or upright blender that is heat-safe. Be careful blending hot liquids!