Spring is in full swing! These carrot cake bites are the perfect spring treat! Great for Easter or any spring get-together. Paleo, low-carb, keto, dairy-free, sugar-free.
Carrot cake you can eat with your fingers?!
I used to hate carrot cake, like so bad that I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. It really wasn’t the carrot cake itself that I didn’t like (I am a huge fan of cinnamon and all things spiced), but actually the cream cheese frosting that I hated so much.
I’ve never been a fan of cream cheese, which is partially why there is none included in this recipe (sorry for all you cream cheese lovers!). Instead, I decided to coat these little bites in shredded coconut, and it was one of the best decisions I’ve made all week!
So if you’re like me and shun all things cream cheese, then you will love these carrot cake bites! And for those of you who want to top yours in cream cheese frosting, go ahead, I can’t stop you 🙂
I’ll take some!
If you’re ready, let’s hop over into the kitchen and whip up a batch!
To do so, you’ll want to gather the following ingredients: shredded or finely-chopped carrots, sweetener of choice (I used pyure, a stevia/erythritol blend), one egg, coconut flour, coconut oil or butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and shredded coconut to roll the bites in.
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl except for the shredded coconut, and stir until well-incorporated. Make sure you get all of the clumps of coconut flour out.
Roll the balls into shredded coconut (make sure you get the sugar-free kind if you are aiming for keto or low-carb!), and bake until the edges of the coconut begin to brown.
Store at room temperature in an air-tight container for 2-3 days, or in the fridge for up to a week.
Can I make a double or triple batch for a party?
Of course you can! Simply add double or triple the ingredients, the process is still the same.
Can I use another type of flour, I don’t have any coconut flour?
You can use blanched almond flour instead. This is the only type I can vouch for. Rather than 1/4 cup, use 1 cup of almond flour. You may need a bit more coconut oil, if the mixture is too dry.
You will also love these delicious desserts:
Carrot Cake Bites (Low-Carb, Paleo)
- 1/2 large carrot, shredded or chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (28 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut, no sugar added
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all ingredients except shredded coconut together in a bowl. If necessary, add a bit more coconut flour if the dough is too sticky. If too dry, add a bit more coconut oil or butter.
- Divide into 10 evenly-sized portions and roll into balls. Roll balls in shredded coconut, if desired.
- Place balls on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the shredded coconut begins to brown.