How is everyone’s week going? The weather has been so beautiful here lately. It’s been in the mid-high 70’s this past week, with lows in the high 50’s and low 60’s. We haven’t had to kick on the AC at all, which is so unusual for the end of July.
I won’t complain though, I’m sure Mother Nature has some hot weather in store for us in August. We surely could use some warmth for the garden. Things have seemed to slow down a bit with this dip in temperature.
Speaking of nice weather, we went camping last weekend and had such a wonderful time. The weather was so cooperative, which almost never happens when we camp. I even made this quick and simple cashew chicken while we were there.
If I can make it there with minimal kitchen equipment, you can definitely make it in your kitchen at home! I just love the super quick and easy one skillet meals. It cuts down on prep time, cook time and clean up time.
When you find yourself too busy to cook a long, extravagant meal, this is the perfect alternative. That way you avoid the “should I get fast food which I may later regret” debacle.
You simply start by cooking the chicken in some olive oil until it is mostly cooked. While that is cooking, you can make your sauce simply by mixing coconut aminos (or soy sauce…if gluten-free, beware of wheat which is very common in soy sauce!), white vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
When the chicken is no longer pink, push it aside in the pan, and scramble several eggs. Once the eggs are done, mix them together and add in your veggies. Let it simmer for a few minutes until the veggies start to get tender.
As you let the veggies cook, they will likely release some moisture, which you will want to drain before adding the sauce. Then add in the sauce and simmer for several more minutes. Spoon it into a bowl and top with cashews and you have some delicious low-carb cashew chicken. That’s all there is to it!
I hope you guys enjoyed this quick and easy one skillet meal. If you enjoy this type of recipe, please leave a comment below. I would be happy to make more of them for you busy folks out there!
Cashew Chicken (Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 1 lb chicken breasts or thighs boneless
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium head bok choy chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce - watch out for gluten!
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger either fresh (chopped finely) or powdered
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 cup cashews
- pinch salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Start by cooking chicken in a pan with olive oil over medium heat.
- When chicken is mostly done (after roughly 5-7 minutes), move the chicken to the side, and crack eggs into the other half of the pan. Scramble them until cooked. Be sure to watch that the chicken does not burn during this time.
- Make sauce by adding together coconut aminos, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic powder, ginger, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Once eggs are cooked, add bok choy and mushrooms into pan. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Some liquid may come out of the vegetables as they cook. Drain liquid before adding sauce.
- Add sauce, and simmer for several more minutes, or until vegetables are done.
- Place in bowls and top each with 1/4 cup cashews. Enjoy!