Baked cauliflower falafel, a delicious and healthy vegetarian dish. Made with fresh parsley, cilantro, onion, sunflower seeds, egg and spices. Vegetarian, low-carb, keto, whole30, Paleo.
Last year, I posted a Vegan Baked Falafel recipe, which I really enjoy making every now and again. However, as I am currently doing my second round of Whole30, and because I feel better sticking to a lower-carb way of eating, I wanted to find a way to still consume one of my favorite foods. This cauliflower falafel is super healthy, and is packed with tons of delicious herbs and spices.
If you are familiar with a low-carb eating style, you know how crucial cauliflower rice can be in replicating conventional recipes. Well, we are going to use approximately half a head worth of cauliflower rice in this recipe as well.
Chop the head up into small florets and pulse in blender or food processor to break them up into pieces roughly the size of grains of rice. Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to work in batches.
Next, you’ll want to set aside the cauliflower rice, and add your nuts, seeds, parsley and cilantro to your blender or food processor. Pulse until the ingredients have been chopped up finely.
Combine with cauliflower rice in a bowl and add in the remaining ingredients. Mix with a spoon until well-incorporated. Form into balls approximately 1.5 inches in diameter and place on a baking sheet. You may find that the dough is still watery.
As long as you can form it into balls, this is ok. If the balls start to fall apart, add more coconut flour until it begins to stick together. Pop them in the oven and prep your salad or whatever else you want to eat the falafel with.
I suggest a salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and onions. You can top it with a delicious simple vinaigrette or tahini dressing. For mine, all I did was add the juice of a lemon, a teaspoon tahini, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt. It was perfect!
I hope you enjoy this tasty Whole30 compliant cauliflower falafel. It’s nice every once in awhile to still be able to eat a vegetarian meal while on Whole30. This will certainly be a go-to vegetarian meal in the future! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think if you try it.
Cauliflower Falafel (Whole30, Keto, Vegetarian)
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 cups sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or ground nuts, or a combination of these
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 onion, large diced
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp himalayan pink salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour use more or less as required to thicken dough
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Blend sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and/or almonds in blender or food processor until powdered. Add in cilantro, parsley and diced onion and pulse until finely minced.
- Add to a large bowl along with all remaining ingredients except coconut flour. Once thoroughly mixed, add in coconut flour by the tablespoon-full until mixture can be formed into balls.
- Form into approximately 1.5 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet. Bake in oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the outside is firm and begins to brown slightly.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before consuming.