Delicious chai shortbread cookies, made with freshly brewed tea, coconut flour, butter, sweetener and chai spices. These are sure to impress your friends and family! Gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, ketogenic.
I am a huge fan of chai tea. I have great memories of drinking iced chai on my college campus with my sister. We used to always get the most delicious chai at one of the dining hall coffee stands, and it quickly became a past time for us.
I miss those days, and although I no longer consume milk and sugar in my tea, I love to find different ways to work chai into my life as often as possible.
These chai shortbread cookies bring me back to those days. They’re super spicy, and are full of cinnamon, allspice, ginger and black pepper. They even have a bit of strongly brewed black tea infused in them to make them totally legit! They are pretty much as close to drinking an actual chai tea as a cookie can possibly be.
Not only do these chai shortbread cookies make me nostalgic, but they’re also so easy to make! What could be better? You’ll want to start by brewing just a little bit of water with a nice strong brand of black tea. You’ll only need a few tablespoons of liquid for this recipe, but you want to make sure it is as strongly steeped as possible.
Don’t be afraid to let it steep for 10+ minutes so the flavor really develops. While that is steeping, mix the coconut flour, room temperature butter, sweetener, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, vanilla and black pepper in with the dough and mix that all together until fully combined. I find that using my hands works well, but you can totally use a hand mixer if you’d prefer.
Once your tea is nice and steeped, add that in and mix with all the other ingredients. Form into a log and allow to chill in the fridge for a little bit until the butter hardens.
This helps the dough to be stiff enough to cut with a knife, if you want to form it into nice perfectly round cookies. You can also just roll them into balls if you are not so picky. Lay them out on a cookie sheet and bake. Then it’s party time!
I’m a huge fan of simple shortbread cookies. These chai cookies follow the same general steps as these lavender shortbread cookies and homemade Oreos. Just a tip, the homemade Oreos are one of my favorite cookie recipes that I’ve made…SO GOOD.
Chai Shortbread Cookies (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweetener I like Pyure stevia blend.
- 1 bag black tea
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla beanpowder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Steep teabag in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Mix tea, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and black pepper together until well incorporated.
- Mix coconut flour, room temperature butter, sweetener and chai mixture together in a bowl. Mix with your fingers until the butter is well-incorporated with the other ingredients. You don't want any clumps of butter left in the mixture.
- Roll dough into a log and place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes, or until the dough has hardened a bit and can be sliced without crumbling.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice dough into 1/4" thick cookies and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.