This cheddar broccoli chicken casserole is made with broccoli, cauliflower rice, chicken, sour cream, butter and lots of shredded cheddar cheese. Gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, and ketogenic.
Who’s in the mood for some comfort food? Sometimes you just want a meal that makes you feel good after a hard day. Or maybe it’s cold outside, and you want something that will warm your belly. Well this cheddar broccoli chicken casserole is just the thing you need! This meal is not only gluten-free and grain-free, but it’s also low-carb and keto-friendly!
Don’t know what keto is? It’s a diet where you replace those starchy carbs with healthy fats which help your body burn fat. Fat is a more efficient fuel source for your body and brain, once you get through the transition to burning fat.
I’ll go into more detail about this in the future, but currently I am experimenting with this way of eating (I really hate the word diet, for someone who has struggled with being borderline underweight her whole life).
So far, I have found that experimenting with keto is really increasing my energy levels and concentration during the day, and reducing my food cravings and “hangry” episodes from blood sugar crashes.
This delicious low-carb cheddar broccoli chicken casserole does not take long to prep at all, and you just need several simple ingredients to make it. You’ll begin by chopping up some cauliflower into florets and making cauliflower rice out of it.
Cauliflower rice is quite simple to make. You just grind up a bunch of cauliflower until the pieces resemble grains of rice. This is then used as the base of the dish, and to that you will add the remaining ingredients.
And really, what goes better together than cheddar cheese, broccoli and rice? It’s like they were made for each other. Add in some chicken, the cauliflower rice and sour cream and you have a creamy, delicious and filling recipe! Be sure to use precooked chicken, or adjust the cook time as needed, if using raw.
I hope you all enjoy this delicious cheddar broccoli chicken casserole. It’s truly easy to make and so filling. It’s the perfect size for the family, or to have leftovers for lunch for two!
PS – I craved this recipe while I was doing Whole30, so I made a Whole30 friendly version using cashews instead of cream…check it out! Whole30 Compliant Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Casserole (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Keto)
- 1 large or 2 medium heads broccoli
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 lb chicken cooked and cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 400F and oil a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Begin by making cauliflower rice. Chop half of a head of cauliflower into florets and place them in a blender or food processor. Process until pieces resemble grains of rice. Place cauliflower rice into a large bowl.
- Chop broccoli into florets and add to bowl.
- Mix in garlic powder, melted butter, 1 cup cheese, sour cream, cooked chicken, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Place ingredients from bowl into baking dish and top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is crispy enough for your liking.