Are you a fan of chocolate and orange together? I sure am! These chocolate orange gummies are one of my favorite grab and go snacks! Keto, Paleo, refined-sugar free.
Chocolate + Orange = Happiness
My mom used to always put a chocolate orange in our stockings at Christmas. I went through periods of time when I liked this chocolate and orange combination, and other times when it did not sound appealing at all.
It’s been quite awhile now that I had that combination, and recently found myself craving some. But of course, those chocolate oranges are loaded with sugar, artificial flavoring and I don’t trust the chocolate to be free from mold.
So on I went until I realized it would be pretty easy to make something tasty with that flavor profile myself! These magical chocolate orange gummies are the delicious end product.
And they are quite tasty, if I do say so. There is something so pleasant about the subtle sweetness of the chocolate, combined with the zesty orange flavor. So reminiscent of those fun times at Christmas!
Sounds delicious, let’s get cookin’!
For this recipe, I made two different layers. The base is a dark chocolate gummy layer sweetened naturally with liquid stevia, and the top layer is that delicious orange gummy with real bits of orange zest and juice.
But don’t be put off when you hear that there is real orange in this recipe! It’s such a small amount that the carbs are negligible.
I did not experiment with orange flavoring/extract, but you could use this instead, if you want these to be completely zero carb. You should be able to find orange flavoring in the baking aisle near the vanilla extract, in most grocery stores.
Assuming you are using orange juice and zest, you’ll want to mix them with some room temperature water and powdered gelatin, then mix well until there is no powdered gelatin left.
Stir in the boiling water and stevia, and mix until there are no clumps of gelatin left.
Pour into some silicone gummy bear or chocolate molds, or use the special droppers for more precise control, if your molds came with them. I do highly recommend the droppers, they help so so much!
Make sure to only fill the molds about 2/3 of the way, to leave room for the chocolate gummy layer! Place in the fridge until the orange layer hardens.
While it is solidifying, make the chocolate gummy layer by first adding room temperature water and another packet of gelatin to a bowl. Stir until gelatin dissolves.
Now add in some super-dark chocolate, and some boiling water. I like the Lindt 90% dark, which has minimal carbs and no soy or dairy, but anything 90% or above will work. Add in some additional stevia and stir until all ingredients are combined and there are no chunks of gelatin left.
Using the dropper or a spoon, add the chocolate gummy mixture on top of the orange gummy mixture, making sure the orange layer has solidified first.
Return to the fridge and wait an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the chocolate gummy layer has hardened. Pop out of molds and place in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. These store best in the fridge, but will also do fine at room temperature for short periods of time.
Can I use an actual chocolate layer instead of a chocolate gummy layer?
I tried this and cannot get the chocolate to stick to the gummy layer. I think it might work if you dip the orange gummies into chocolate, but as far as one layer on top of another, I had no luck.
I don’t want to buy fresh oranges since I won’t eat the rest, any suggestions?
Yes, you can totally use orange extract/flavoring instead. Start with about 1/2 teaspoon and adjust according to your tastes.
You will also enjoy these other gummy bear recipes:
Chocolate Orange Gummies (Keto, Paleo)
For Orange Gummy Layer
- 2 tablespoons juice of an orange
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 packets unflavored gelatin (each packet = 7g)
- 1/4 cup room temperature water (2 oz)
- 1/4 cup boiling water (2 oz)
- 8-10 drops liquid stevia
For Chocolate Gummy Layer
- 2 tablespoons room temperature water
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin (one packet = 7g)
- 1 oz 90% or more dark chocolate (20 g)
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 8-10 drops liquid stevia or to taste
For Orange Gummy Layer
- Mix orange juice, orange zest, unflavored gelatin and room temperature water together in a bowl. Mix well until all gelatin is absorbed and there are no clumps of powdered gelatin left.
- Add in boiling water and mix until no clumps of gelatin remain.
- Spoon mixture or use droppers to more accurately place mixture into silicone gummy bear molds. Only fill each slot in the mold 2/3 of the way, so there is room for the chocolate layer on top.
- Place mold in fridge until hardened, approximately 10-15 minutes.
For the Chocolate Gummy Layer
- Add room temperature water and gelatin together in a bowl and mix until well-combined. Add in dark chocolate and boiling water and stir until chocolate and gelatin are completely dissolved. Add in stevia to taste.
- Remove molds from fridge and add chocolate layer on top of the orange layer, which should have hardened by now. Return to fridge until chocolate mixture has hardened. Pop out of molds and place in an air-tight container. Store in the fridge for up to a week.