Now that the weather is warming up, it’s finally ice cream season! For those of you who are dairy sensitive, or if you just don’t want to pay the $5 for a tiny little container of Ben and Jerry’s, now you can easily make your own chunky monkey ice cream! This recipe is effortless, delightful and very satisfying.
It does require a bit of prep work, but the nice thing about freezing is that you can simply grab it and make it whenever the ice cream craving sets in! The prep work is quite simple. Just fill an ice cube tray with milk. I used almond milk, but any type of milk should work just fine.
Next, you will want to freeze your banana chunks. Ripe bananas are obviously the best choice, but if you prefer less sugar, feel free to use less ripe bananas. Cutting up the bananas before freezing them makes it much easier to work with once they are frozen.
Whenever you are ready to make the ice cream (or approximately 8 hours later, if you want to make them as soon as possible), you’ll simply toss the frozen milk and bananas into the blender. Add in some additional milk, as needed to get that amazing soft serve ice cream texture. Mmmm, so tasty.
Once you have achieved that awesome ice cream consistency, you’ll simply add in some chocolate chips and walnuts. And voila, healthy and delicious chunky monkey ice cream, without any of the preservatives or added sugars! If your ice cream is a little too liquidy, return it to the freezer for approximately 15-30 minutes before consuming.
Homemade Vegan Chunky Monkey Ice Cream (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, No Added Sugar)
- ~1 cup almond milk may need more or less depending on blender
- 3 bananas cut into pieces and frozen
- 1/2 chocolate chips (dairy free, if desired)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Chop up bananas and place into freezer for approximately 6 hours, or until fully frozen. Place almond milk in an ice cube tray and freeze until ready to use, or approximately 6 hours as well.
- Place bananas into blender or food processor, mixing in almond milk as it blends. Add desired amount to create a smooth, soft-serve like consistency.
- Mix in walnuts and chocolate chips by hand.
- If it begins to melt, return to freeze for 15 minutes or so.