These cilantro lime chicken wings are a great appetizer for any Mexican-inspired meal. They are packed full of fresh-squeezed lime and tons of healthful green cilantro leaves. Gluten-free, grain-free, ketogenic, low-carb, Paleo.
Last year, I made this recipe for a delicious cilantro lime sauce, which works absolutely perfectly as a marinade for these wings. I know that some of you are following a ketogenic or low-carb way of eating, so you guys will want to replace the honey in this recipe with your favorite sweetener of choice.
I think some golden monk fruit could be delicious because it resembles brown sugar. That little hint of honey/molasses flavor elevates this sauce to a new level. However, if all you have is granulated sugar or erythritol, you can add that, or just leave out the sweetener for a delicious Whole30 version. Either way, this sauce is fantastic!
Once you have made the sauce, you will want to defrost your chicken wings if they aren’t already. Next, you’ll want to pat the wings dry. I usually try to cut back on my paper towel usage in favor of reusables, but I find that the paper towels really work best here. Place dried chicken wings in a bowl and mix in that delicious cilantro lime sauce.
Toss to fully coat the chicken. Place bowl covered in the fridge for several hours. The longer the better. I made the marinade around lunch time, so they marinated for about 4 hours before cooking.
When dinner time rolls around, simply take the bowl out of the oven and place the wings neatly on a baking sheet. If you want them extra crispy, you can elevate the wings on a wire rack so the air crisps them on all sides. I didn’t do that though, and they were still nice and crispy.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends and family. I would also appreciate some feedback if you try these, I think you’ll really dig them!
Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings
- 1 batch cilantro lime sauce Get the recipe here
- 1-2 lbs chicken wings
- Mix up a batch of my cilantro lime sauce. For ketogenic, you can either omit the honey, or replace with your favorite low-carb sweetener.
- Pat the chicken wings dry and add to a bowl.
- Pour in the cilantro lime sauce, and toss to coat.
- Place bowl in the fridge for several hours to marinate. 2-4 hours is best.
- When dinner time rolls around, preheat oven to 400F.
- Remove marinated wings from fridge and place neatly on a baking sheet. For extra crispy wings, you can use a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Place in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes. Check internal temperature before consuming.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy!