A deliciously simple meal, ready in under 30 minutes, this classic meat sauce with zoodles will be a big hit with the family! Low-carb, ketogenic, Whole30, Paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and nut-free.
Are you looking for a fairly basic recipe that the whole family will enjoy? This classic meat sauce with zoodles recipe is definitely one of those!
And if you have a die-hard pasta loving family, you can simply serve regular pasta with this tasty sauce, and save all of the delicious zoodles for yourself! Speaking of which, you are familiar with the term “zoodles,” right? Ok good.
It’s surprising how many vegetables can be made into noodles these days, thanks to the awesome invention of the spiralizer. Or if you’re a cheapskate like me, you can simply use a sharp knife and lots of patience.
Yes, you would be correct if you guessed that I sliced all of those noodles with just a knife. I do have a minimalist RV kitchen, after all.
I’m sure if you are familiar with meat sauce, you know it is not rocket science, but there are some subtle ways to make it even tastier. First of all, I recommend using grass-fed beef, which is tastier and has a better nutrient profile in terms of omega 3 to omega 6 ratio.
If you’re following a low-carb or keto diet, or really for anyone, I recommend using 80/20 ground beef. Not only is it tastier, but it adds more richness and depth of flavor than a ground beef with less fat.
I also recommend using a decent amount of fresh or dried herbs. An Italian seasoning blend works well, but finely-minced fresh herbs will always add more flavor than dried. If you’re going for a flavor punch, I highly recommend tossing in some fresh basil and parsley, if you have some growing in your garden.
If you give this classic meat sauce with zoodles a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like these recipes:
Classic Meat Sauce with Zoodles (Low-Carb, Whole30)
- 1 lb ground beef (16 oz), I recommend 80/20 grass-fed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 15 oz can tomato sauce without seasoning or sugar added
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning of your choice
- fresh basil and parsley to taste, reserve a small amount for topping at end
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 medium zucchini spiralized or chopped into thin strips
- Cook ground beef over medium heat in coconut oil until browned.
- Add in tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, most of the fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over low heat until the sauce thickens, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, spiralize the zucchini.
- Toss zoodles into a second pan over low heat and lightly saute until cooked to your liking.
- Assemble on a plate, and top with finely-minced fresh herbs, if desire.