This double cheesy tetrazzini is made healthier with the addition of zucchini noodles to replace the traditional linguini. It’s also made really creamy, thanks to the coconut milk (or heavy cream) and tons of Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Low-carb, gluten-free, ketogenic, grain-free.
So call me crazy, but I never even knew what tetrazzini was until my husband kept pestering me to make him some. He apparently grew up on the stuff, and apparently it’s quite a popular dish in some parts of the US. Not in the Northeast where I grew up though, or at least not in my family.
After he explained to me what all the fuss is about, I decided it was time to give it a go. This double cheesy tetrazzini (thanks Shane for the witty name ;)) is incredibly creamy, flavorful and healthier than the traditional recipe, thanks to the additional of zucchini noodles, rather than traditional linguini.
I’m currently avoiding mushrooms, because it is generally recommended that people with a mold intolerance do not consume any members of the fungus family. I’ve never been a huge fan of mushrooms, so it’s not a big deal to me honestly.
With that being said, a traditional tetrazzini recipe does include mushrooms. But if you’re like me and don’t want to consume them, feel free to leave them out. I certainly didn’t miss them. I’ve included them in this recipe though, for those die-hard tetrazzini lovers who would complain if they were left out 😉
Making this double cheesy tetrazzini is pretty straightforward too. If you’re like Shane and I, and are trying to cut back a bit on your dairy consumption (although cheese is not going out anytime soon…), you may want to give canned coconut milk a try here.
I recommend simmering it on the stove until it thickens to a cream-like consistency. If you want, you can use heavy cream instead, which is already nice and thick. If you do that, you can simply skip the thickening process.
Add the zucchini and mushrooms and simmer in the cream until they begin to soften. Add in your chicken or turkey, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, and spices. Then simply stir until everything is nicely coated.
Pop that into the oven for a few minutes until it is cooked to your liking, and then allow to cool for a few minutes before consuming.
If you can’t tell, I’m a big fan of zucchini noodles. If you are too, you may also like some other my other zoodle recipes, like these pesto zucchini noodles with Italian sausage or this low-carb pho with zucchini noodles.
Double Cheesy Tetrazzini (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)
- 1 13.5 ounce can (400 ml) coconut milk or 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large zucchini spiralized or julienne sliced into noodle shapes
- 2 12.5 oz cans (350 g) chicken liquid drained, alternatively you can use precooked cubed turkey or rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup (50 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (100 g) mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz. (225 g) mushrooms optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- Add coconut milk to a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, allow to come to a boil. You want to get the coconut milk to thicken to a cream-like consistency. If using heavy cream, skip the boiling step because the cream is already thick enough.
- Add zucchini noodles and mushrooms to the skillet along with the cream and stir until they are well-coated. Add in remaining ingredients and stir. Top with additional cheese, if desired.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the zucchini and mushrooms are cooked to your liking.