This easy chocolate buttercream frosting is one of the simplest and most delicious toppings imaginable! Keto, Paleo, low-carb, sugar-free.
Frosting! I used to LOVE the stuff. In the past few years, my tastes have changed significantly and I don’t usually go for sweet things so much anymore.
I know a lot of you have a mean sweet tooth though, so I thought you would all love this indulgent treat. I made mine to go atop an incredible low-carb chocolate cake back at Thanksgiving and everyone LOVED it!
Even those who eat regular cake all the time were asking for more of the cake (my husband being one of them), so I know it was a huge hit.
Frosting is pretty darn easy to make at home with healthier ingredients (don’t you just love when that happens?) All you really need is a blender or food processor. Start by pulsing your sweetener of choice until it becomes powdered.
No need to buy fancy powdered confectioners sweetener for extra money (I’m looking at you, Swerve). But if you have that on hand, feel free to use that as well!
Add in your room temperature butter and cocoa powder. Pulse in the blender again until smooth. Add in a bit of water or milk to thin it out a bit, if necessary.
Apply right away to your room temperature cake, cupcakes, or whatever else you want to frost, or you can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you want to warm it up to soften it, do not place in the microwave, simply place on the counter until it softens.
Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup granulated or powdered sweetener for Paleo, use coconut sugar, for keto use a stevia/erythritol blend (96 g)
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature (4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (4 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons water or milk or as needed to achieve desired texture
- Add sweetener to a blender or food processor. If granulated, pulse on its own until powdered.
- Add in room temperature butter and cocoa powder. Pulse again until well-incorporated. Scrape down sides of blender or food processor, if necessary.
- If necessary, add in water or milk one tablespoon at a time to achieve desired consistency.
- Use immediately, or store in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Do not microwave. Allow to sit out at room temperature if consistency is too hard after refrigerating.