A delicious egg roll in a bowl with a twist! Mandarin oranges add to the fun in this simple one-skillet recipe. Low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, Whole30, Paleo.
Are you a big fan of the “egg roll in a bowl” craze, but perhaps are getting tired of the usual version and want to try something new? Well this egg roll in a bowl has a special twist added to it…that’s right, oranges!
It’s great in that it is still just as easy as the original, but with a sweet and zesty punch! All you need is one large pan and the necessary ingredients and you will be all set to start cookin’!
So I’m presenting two approaches for this recipe, one that works for Whole30, and one that does not.
Option one is to use fresh clementines, orange slices or mandarin oranges sweetened with fruit juice. This is a great option for Whole30 or Paleo because there is zero added sweetener, whether sugar or otherwise. Just be careful to watch your labels if you’re using canned mandarins on Whole30!
Option two is a fun options I found in the grocery store for the first time this week. It’s a great a way to make this recipe lower in carbs…stevia-sweetened mandarin oranges! How awesome is that??
The mandarin oranges themselves are a bit high in carbs for this meal to be considered ketogenic, but it’s definitely lower in carbs, if you’re watching those, like I do most of the time. Plus it’s nice to find an alternative to those canned mandarins that have corn syrup added…yuck!
Ok, shall we move on to how to make this delicious recipe?
Start by cooking your ground chicken/turkey/pork/beef in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink.
While the meat is cooking, toss the equivalent of one orange into a blender (with the juice, if using canned mandarins), along with coconut aminos, ginger and garlic and blend.
Toss in your coleslaw mix and the blended orange mixture, and cook until the cabbage reaches your desired tenderness level. Top with the remaining oranges/mandarins and some chopped green onions.
If you enjoy this egg roll in a bowl, you will love these other recipes!
Egg Roll in a Bowl With a Twist! (Low-Carb, Paleo)
- 1 lb ground turkey, chicken, pork or beef (16 oz)
- 14 oz coleslaw mix
- 3 clementines or 1 cup mandarin oranges (use stevia-sweetened for low-carb). I love these no sugar added mandarins
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- ginger and garlic to taste
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced
- Cook ground meat over medium heat in a large skillet until no longer pink.
- While the meat is cooking, add one clementine (or 1/2 cup mandarins plus the juice) to a blender, along with coconut aminos, ginger and garlic and blend. If you're using fresh oranges, you will probably need to add in a bit of water or orange juice for extra liquid.
- Add in coleslaw mix and blended juice and cover. Cook covered until coleslaw reaches your desired level of crunch.
- Top with remaining clementines and green onions.