For when you’re craving some delicious garlic breadsticks but know you can’t eat the traditional gluten-filled kind, these gluten-free and low-carb garlic butter breadsticks will save the day! Made with coconut flour, psyllium husk powder, eggs and a delicious garlic butter seasoning.
So surely by now, you guys know how OBSESSED with garlic I am, right? I recently discovered that a garlic butter sauce is an acceptable topping for basically any dish. My favorite might be sweet potatoes. Something about the mix of sweet with salty and garlicky. To die for.
Of course, I decided to make breadsticks and top it with my garlic butter sauce, because it would honestly be a disservice NOT to do it. That’s how much I truly love this sauce.
For those of you who may think I’m a little nutso for adding butter, garlic and Parmesan to everything under the sun, I’ll dial it back just a bit for this recipe. Only for you. Ok, so let’s get started on making some breadsticks!
I’m using coconut flour for this recipe because it’s much more affordable than almond flour or really any other options I’ve found. As an aside, if by some miracle, you find a cheaper flour than coconut flour, please let me know!
Mix your coconut flour in with psyllium husk powder, eggs, baking soda and vinegar. Stir until fully combined. Next you’ll want to add in some hot water. The hot water will help the psyllium husk powder form a gel-like consistency, which helps keep the breadsticks together as they bake.
By the way, if you’re curious about psyllium husk powder, I talked more about it in my coconut flour pizza crust recipe.
Split the dough into four equally-sized piles of dough, and then roll them into into breadstick-like shapes. If rolls are more your thing, feel free to just plop the dough blobs onto a baking sheet.
Whatever floats your bread boat. Pop those in the oven and let’s get to cooking up some garlic butter sauce! It’s incredibly simply. All you need is some melted butter, garlic powder, salt and parsley.
You could totally add in some Parmesan cheese (why didn’t I do that???), Italian seasoning, or anything else you think would fit in well. Once the breadsticks come out of the oven, simply brush the garlic butter sauce on top. BAM!
If you give these garlic butter breadsticks a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
Garlic Butter Breadsticks (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (25 g)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup boiling water 4 oz to 6 oz
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For garlic butter sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Mix coconut flour, eggs, psyllium husk powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- Add in boiling water and apple cider vinegar and mix until fully combined. Let sit for several minutes and the coconut flour will soak up more liquid.
- Split dough into four balls and roll into breadstick shapes.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the breadsticks begin to turn brown around the edges.
- While the breadsticks are baking, make your garlic butter sauce by melting butter (or ghee) and then mixing with salt, garlic powder and parsley. Brush over the surface of the breadsticks once they come out of the oven.