These crispy gluten-free fried chicken strips are perfect for those looking for a slightly healthier option. Made with coconut flour, these are great for those who are following a grain-free, Paleo, ketogenic, low-carb or tree nut-free diet.
I’m not one to make or consume fried food often, but every once in a while you just have to indulge. If I’m going to fry something, it’s certainly going to be pan-fried.
I’m not a deep frying kind of person, plus I am squarely against consuming oxidized vegetable oils whenever possible. Coconut oil is the only oil I really feel comfortable frying in because it is capable of standing up to high heat.
For those who don’t want to impart a coconut flavor on your fried foods (I’m with you there), refined coconut oil is the way to go. I love this Nutiva organic refined coconut oil. You really can’t beat the price of this stuff!
You want to start with a nice thin chicken breast. If it’s too thick, don’t be shy about pounding it thin. This will help the breading to stick better, and also to get that chicken to cook faster as it is frying. As with a traditional fried chicken, this start with a nice egg wash, then a thorough coating of coconut flour mixed with salt, pepper, garlic and paprika.
All you really need are a few tablespoons of coconut oil to fry up these chicken strips. Get that oil nice and hot (medium heat is good to start) in a heavy-bottomed skillet. Make sure the oil is sizzling when you put in the first chicken strip, and these will cook up nice and quick.
Be sure to test the internal temperature of the chicken before consuming. If the chicken is too thick, you might have trouble with the outside overcooking while the inside is not done. So be sure to get that chicken nice and thin, and you won’t be disappointed!
If you enjoyed this yummy gluten-free fried chicken strips, be sure to check out some of the other recipes. I think you will enjoy these other chicken recipes. Hope you all enjoy this tasty chicken!
Gluten-Free Fried Chicken Strips (Tree Nut Free, Keto, Low-Carb)
- 3-4 tablespoons refined coconut oil for frying
- 1 lb boneless chicken Sliced into thin strips
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Add coconut oil to a large pan (I recommend a cast iron pan) and heat on medium low while preparing the chicken.
- Add egg to a bowl and whisk.
- To a second bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix to ensure they are well-combined.
- Drop chicken into egg and coat thoroughly.
- Remove chicken from egg and add into the dry coconut flour mixture. Ensure that chicken is fully coated.
- Drop breaded chicken into the frying pan piece by piece. Allow to cook until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes on each side. Ensure chicken is cooked to 180F before removing from pan.
- Place fried chicken on a paper towel to cool. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before consuming, as the oil is incredibly hot.