This grain-free French bread recipe is one that will definitely please those picky, gluten-loving bread eaters. It is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside!
Being on a gluten-free, grain-free diet does not mean you have to be deprived of delicious bread.
So many gluten and grain-free flours are extremely expensive, and filled with ingredients that you may not want to feed your family. I like to use single ingredient flours because you know exactly what is in them, and if you are knowledgeable about blending flours, you can create blends that are suited to different recipes, depending on the desired consistency and taste.
I really like to use tapioca and/or rice flour, because they are two ingredients that I know my body agrees with, and that aren’t outrageously expensive. Rice flour is obviously a grain, but tapioca is not, so it can be used in grain-free baking.
Tapioca is probably my favorite grain-free flour option, and I find myself using it very often in recipes; it’s super versatile and has almost no flavor.
It works really well in this grain-free French bread, which is crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside.
This recipe is quick and easy, and does not require a lengthy rising process.
A lot of bread recipes require a lengthy rising process, but this grain-free French bread is not like that at all, it’s a super quick recipe to make. Simply make the dough and toss it in the oven.
To make it, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Tapioca starch, tapioca powder or tapioca flour (they’re all the same thing). Alternatively, you can use arrowroot flour, which is very similar.
- Baking powder (you can try my homemade recipe, if you’re struggling to find a grain-free and aluminum-free option)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- Water or milk
Start by mixing the tapioca starch and baking powder together in a bowl. Add in the eggs, mozzarella cheese, olive oil and salt. Stir to combine. Add in the water or milk, and mix dough until all ingredients are well-combined.
Roll dough out into a log and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Bake uncovered in a preheated oven, according to the directions below.
Is tapioca flour the same as tapioca starch?
Yes it is, you can use either one in this recipe.
Can I use another type of flour in this recipe?
No, this recipe was created using tapioca flour, tapioca starch or arrowroot powder only. Most gluten and grain-free flours have a different consistency, taste and absorptivity. Using a different type of flour could yield a bread that is rock solid, very liquidy or has an odd taste.
You may also enjoy:
Grain-Free French Bread
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons water or milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix tapioca flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add in eggs, mozzarella cheese, olive oil and salt. Stir dough until combined.
- Stir in water, and knead dough until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Form dough into a log and place onto a baking sheet. Place baking sheet into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is crispy. The edges may not brown as much as a normal loaf of bread.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing. Store at room temperature for 2-3 days.