These healthier rice krispie treats are just as delicious, but have higher quality ingredients and less allergens. Gluten-free, corn-free, soy-free.
Heathier rice krispie treats that taste just as delicious!
It’s not too often that I eat a bunch of sugar. However, when I do, I want to make sure the ingredients are still up to my standards. To me, that means making sure there are no weird additives, corn ingredients, unnecessary preservatives, or synthetic vitamins.
I recently came across the brand of marshmallows called Smashmallow (not sponsored, but I do get a small commission if you purchase through this link!). I just love their ingredients! They still contain sugar and gelatin, of course, but the starch they use is tapioca-based.
They are also gluten-free and non-GMO, and don’t contain food coloring, like normal marshmallows. I’ve found them in the grocery store in several different flavors, and they’ve all been great!
So naturally, I had to try making something out of them. These healthier rice krispy treats are so stinking delicious, and only take just a few minutes to make.
I used puffed rice cereal from my local health food store without added synthetic vitamins, but you can use rice krispies, if you’re ok with the added ingredients.
Healthier rice krispie treats don’t have to take longer to make either!
One of the best things about these healthier rice krispie treats (aside from the delicious taste, of course), is how truly simple they are to make. You only need four simple ingredients:
- Salted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Puffed rice or rice krispies cereal. Make sure to check that they are gluten-free, if necessary. Also, some brands do not have added vitamins, if you are worried about synthetic ingredients.
Melt the butter in a pan over medium low heat. Once melted, add in the marshmallows and stir constantly until fully dissolved. Remove from heat and add in the vanilla extract and cereal. Stir to combine.
Add the mixture to a small dish. approximately 8″ x 8″ in size. Gently spread the mixture out. Do not press down hard, or the rice krispie treats will be very dense. If you have issues flattening the mixture, run your fingers or spatula under water. Shake off the excess and then press down on the mixture. This should help prevent the mixture from sticking.
Cover dish with a lid, and allow it to sit at room temperature for around 30 minutes, or until it has set. Cut into pieces and store at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Can I customize the flavors?
You sure can! I love the Smashmallow marshmallows because they come in a bunch of delicious flavors. You can use any flavor you’d like, in place of the vanilla ones. You can also toss in some chocolate chips, or substitute the vanilla extract for mint extract, maple extract, etc. One important note is that some extracts will be stronger than vanilla, so you might want to reduce the extract by half, if you don’t want an overpowering extract flavor.
Can I double the recipe?
Of course! Simply use double of all the ingredients. If you want to get super fancy, you can make two single batches, one with regular vanilla marshmallows, and one with mint or pumpkin or strawberry shortcake. Simply add one mixture to half a dish, and the other mixture to the other half. Then your family has two delicious choices for dessert!
You may also enjoy:
Healthier Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 oz marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups puffed rice or rice krispies cereal
- Melt butter in a pan over medium low heat. Add in marshmallows and stir until fully dissolved. Remove from heat and add in vanilla extract and rice cereal. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to a greased or parchment paper lined dish. Add mixture and gently press down to smooth out. Do not press down hard, or the rice krispies will be dense and hard. If the mixture is really sticky and you have trouble spreading, run your spatula or fingers under water. Shake off the excess, then spread the mixture. This should help prevent sticking.
- Add a lid to the dish and allow the treats to set for around 30 minutes. Cut into pieces and enjoy. Store at room temperature for 3-4 days.