It’s dessert time again!! I made this baked apple crisp several weeks ago for my mom as a Mother’s Day dessert, and it was quite the hit! The combination of apple, cinnamon, lemon and nuts make for such a warm and cozy treat, regardless of the season. You don’t need any sort of excuse to make this baked apple crisp though, it’s perfect for any night of the week!
It’s quite simple to make. You just need several apples sliced thinly. I used three fiji apples, and they did not disappoint.
You’ll want to add your cinnamon and nutmeg in with the sliced apples, butter/coconut oil and lemon juice. You can either melt the butter/coconut oil, or keep it solid. The cinnamon would coat it better if you melt it, but I did not melt mine (can you say lazy?) and it turned out perfect anyway.
You’ll want to top it with a mixture of nuts (I used pecans) and brown sugar, which I blended together to create a crumbly crust. Toss her in the oven and try to find something to keep you busy while you wait 😉
Be sure to comment below if you try it and tell me what you think!
Healthy Baked Apple Crisp (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free)
- 3 apples I used fuji
- 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a small oven-safe dish with non-stick spray.
- Slice apples into thin strips. The thinner the better because the cinnamon, nutmeg and butter can better coat all of the surfaces.
- Place apple slices in a medium bowl and mix with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. You can melt the butter if you prefer, so the spices will be better distributed. I just cut up the cold butter and put it in the bowl, which worked just fine.
- Place apples and seasoning in oven-safe dish.
- In a blender or food processor, add pecans and brown sugar. Blend until incorporated.
- Spread the pecan and brown sugar mix over the top of the apples.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes.