Are you looking for one of the easiest breakfast recipes you’ll ever find? These homemade sausage patties are simple, flavorful and healthy! Keto, Paleo, Whole30.
I have to say that I have really changed a lot in the last few years. I used to be a hardcore vegetarian, and through intuitive eating and understanding how to nourish my body, have now been eating meat for several years.
I used to be one of those people who would firmly say “I will never eat meat…ever!” Man, things sure do change.
Sausage patties are one of those breakfast staples that I always feel “heavy” after eating, from all that oil, especially if it’s in a restaurant. I don’t trust that they’re cooking with good oil.
So I knew if I wanted to eat sausage patties, it would be up to me to create ones that I felt comfortable eating.
These homemade sausage patties definitely deliver, let me tell you! They’re so flavorful, and I just love knowing exactly what ingredients are in my food. No fillers, no soy, just pure goodness.
Also, who knew that making sausage was so simple? For some reason I thought it would be time-consuming and super messy. It’s really not!
All you really need is a pound (16 oz) of ground pork or turkey, and some seasoning. I recommend garlic, salt, pepper, sage and thyme. There is something about this combination that makes incredibly flavorful sausage. Perfection.
Simply mix the ground pork with all of the spices. It works best to do it with your hands, but if you’re super squeamish, you can totally use a spoon, or even the dough hook on your mixer.
Whichever approach you use, be sure that your spices are mixed in evenly, so you don’t get clumps of seasoning.
Next you’ll want to form the mixture into balls, then flatten them into patties. Once again, your hands work best here. Gloves are a great option here if you prefer to not touch the meat directly.
Then simply drop the patties into a hot pan with some coconut oil or butter. Cook over medium or medium-high heat until nicely browned. Make sure you reach an internal temperature of 160 F (71 C)!
If you want to prep the patties ahead of time, or you’re just cooking for one or two people, you can also freeze the extras before cooking. Just make sure to separate each of the patties with a piece of parchment paper.
If you enjoyed these homemade sausage patties, you will also love:
Homemade Sausage Patties (Whole30, Keto)
- 1 lb ground pork (16 oz)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt I like this Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Mix ground pork in a bowl with all of the seasoning. Using your hands is best, so the seasoning is evenly distributed as best as possible.
- Form mixture into balls approximately 2 inches in diameter.
- Flatten into round patty shapes.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the sausage patties and cook until no longer pink and the outsides are nicely browned.
- Check internal temperature using a thermometer. The patties should be at least 160F (71C)
- You can also freeze the patties before cooking. Just be sure to put some parchment paper between each of the patties, so they do not stick. The cooking process is the same, they will just need more time if cooking from frozen.