A tasty homemade three-ingredient mayo recipe. Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, Paleo, ketogenic, low-carb, Whole30.
Another easy sauce recipe coming at you! This one is very basic, but it is a really important base for lots of tasty sauces and dressings. There are so many ways you can use a simple mayo, including to dress it up and add in all sorts of flavorings. Oops, I’m getting ahead of myself. More on the ways to customize later.
First, let’s get to this delicious basic mayo recipe that does not require any electric mixers to make! Perfect for the minimalist who got rid of all their blenders and food processors.
Or, if you’re traveling the country in your RV (guilty), and simply don’t have room for any fancy gadgets, this will suit you as well 🙂
When it comes to easy recipes, this one really takes the cake. Start by adding one raw whole egg plus one raw egg yolk to a sturdy glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add in your mustard, I recommend a simple dijon, but if you want to get all fancy, you could add in honey or spicy brown, if you know you want to customize the flavors based on the dish you are making.
Add in about two tablespoons of oil (I recommend light olive oil or avocado oil), and shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds, or until it resembles a very thick, opaque yellow consistency. Continue adding in oil two tablespoons at a time and shaking until opaque in color and uniform in texture.
Repeat until you have added the desired amount of oil, based on how much mayo you want to make. Anywhere from 1/2 to 1 cup should work well for this recipe. I don’t recommend adding any more oil than 1 cup, or it will become too thin.
If you want more mayo than this recipe makes, simply double all of the ingredients. See, easy peasy!
Plus, cleanup is a BREEZE. Simply store the mayo in the jar you used to mix, and there is no cleanup at all!
Click here for my other sauce and dressing recipes that are perfect for summer!
Homemade Three-Ingredient Mayo
- 1 raw whole egg organic and pastured is best
- 1 raw egg yolk organic and pastured is best
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2-1 cup olive or avocado oil (105-210 g)
- Add whole egg, egg yolk, mustard and 2 tablespoons of oil to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds. Alternatively, you can use a hand blender.
- Add in more oil roughly 2-4 tablespoons at a time. Shake vigorously or mix with hand blender for 15-20 seconds. Repeat until desired amount of oil is added. Do not add more than 1 cup oil.
- Store in the fridge for 7-10 days.