An incredibly simple and tasty drink, this iced vanilla chai latte is perfect for a hot day! Ketogenic, low-carb, bulletproof, Paleo, dairy-free, sugar-free.
So I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned this before in my chai shortbread cookie recipe, but I’m possibly the world’s biggest fan of chai. I used to go out of my way to get some of the sweet and spicy stuff, and would often spend much more than I should on a nice big cup of it.
Iced chai has always been my favorite. You would like that during the cold weather, I would want to warm up with something hot and spicy, but the opposite has somehow always been the time I crave it most.
Give me an iced chai on a hot day, and I’ll be the happiest of campers. There’s something about the warm weather mixed with a spicy drink that really calms me down.
So naturally, I had to start making my own, since it’s nearly impossible to find sugar-free, dairy-free and low-carb versions. I used to just buy them anyway, knowing that I was doing something I shouldn’t, but those days are gone.
I’ve been more strict lately, knowing that I still have some digestive issues cropping up recently. My natural doctor believes I have Lyme Disease, Candida and some other stuff going on, so that means no more sugar or dairy for me.
As a result, I knew I had to come up with a delicious version of my beloved chai to keep me from wanting the stuff at the coffee shop…
This recipe is super easy to make, which is good because I definitely see myself making it all the time! It definitely helps that it’s sugar-free and dairy-free, meaning that I have no guilt consuming it with breakfast, or as an afternoon pick-me-up.
Start by brewing some strong chai tea. I used two bags because I love mine extra spicy and flavorful. Allow the tea to cool to room temperature, and then add some spices like cinnamon, ginger and vanilla, along with a little bit of coconut milk. Blend it all up in a blender or using a stick blender.
I love to use a protein powder in mine, and the Bulletproof Vanilla Collagen Protein Powder is my all-time favorite (no, not sponsored, but would love to be!). Toss this in at the end, then blender for just a little longer.
You can also omit the protein powder, or use collagen peptides in this, in which case I recommend adding some sweetener, and maybe a bit more vanilla if you desire.
Add in some ice at the end, and you’re good to go!
Iced Vanilla Chai Latte (Low-Carb, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 2 chai tea bags
- 12 oz boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla, ginger
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or heavy cream
- stevia drops, or your favorite low-carb sweetener omit if using a sweetened protein powder
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder if desired, this will make it quite smooth and creamy. I love the Bulletproof vanilla collagen protein, but any protein powder or collagen protein would work.
- Add two chai tea bags to 12 oz of boiling water. Allow to steep for 10 minutes. Remove tea bags. Allow tea to cool to room temperature.
- Once tea is cool, add in cinnamon, vanilla, ginger and coconut milk. Add in sweetener of choice, to taste. If you are using a sweetened protein powder, you may not need any additional sweetener.
- Blend in blender or using a stick blender. Towards the end, add in your protein powder.
- Add to a container with a lid, add in ice and shake.