Super-easy Italian stuffed peppers. Filled to the brim with ground turkey, spinach, tomatoes and topped with crispy broiled mozzarella cheese. Gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, ketogenic.
These Italian stuffed peppers do not mess around. All you need are five ingredients and 15 minutes of prep time to make them. Then you can have a dance party while they bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Total win win if you ask me.
All you have to do is start with a skillet, cook your meat, add in some veggies and seasoning and your filling is done. Cut a few peppers in half, stuff them with the filling, add cheese and place in the oven. See? It’s so simple that it only took me two sentences to describe the entire recipe!
Ok, so did I go through that a little too quick for you? Here is the more in depth version. Start by heating a pan over medium heat and add in your oil of choice. I recommend butter or olive oil. Once it is nice and warm, add in your ground meat of choice (or you could even use tofu or seitan for a vegetarian version!), and cook until browned.
While that is cooking, thaw out your frozen spinach. You can also use regular bagged spinach, if you prefer. Just skip this step if you do so.
Next, you will want to add in your diced tomatoes, thawed spinach (make sure to squeeze out the excess liquid) or fresh spinach, as well as the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook for several minutes, or until fresh spinach cooks down. Allow that to cool for several minutes.
In the mean time, you will want to cut each of your peppers in half and remove the seeds and membranes. Place each of the pepper halves on a baking sheet. If they wobble too much or don’t sit up straight, you can shave a little bit off the bottoms so they are more stable. Once the filling has cooled, add a scoop to each of the peppers.
Top with your favorite cheese and place in the oven. These are fantastic with a side salad, grilled asparagus or a tomato basil and mozzarella salad. So many delicious options!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe. It seems like the meals that take around 30 minutes are the best-received, so I have been trying to develop more of them for my blog. If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends and family!
Italian Stuffed Peppers (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Low-Carb, Whole30)
- 1 lb ground chicken, turkey or beef or tofu or seitan for a vegetarian version
- 4 peppers
- 10 oz. frozen spinach (thawed and water squeezed out) or one bag fresh
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes or two medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used mozzarella (omit for Whole30)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a medium skillet, cook ground meat over medium heat until no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- While meat is cooking, thaw out spinach and remove excess liquid. Skip this step if using fresh spinach.
- Slice peppers in half and remove seeds and white membranes.
- Once meat is no longer pink, add in spinach, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt. Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Stuff peppers with filling, and top with cheese if desired.
- Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and begins to brown.