A delicious loaded cauliflower mash that rivals any good mashed potato recipe. Complete with tons of cheddar cheese, generous amounts of crispy bacon and lots of tangy green onions. Nightshade-free, low-carb, ketogenic, gluten-free, grain-free.
I was not the biggest fan of mashed potatoes growing up. Something about the lack of substance and taste was off-putting to me at the time. I think my mind was thinking something like “Food you don’t have to chew and can barely taste? What is the point?”
At some point, I did start to like them though, and found that they could be nice and flavorful when seasoned (and buttered) properly. I’ve never been much of a fan of bland foods, so adding lots of toppings is really how I developed a liking of potatoes.
Now that I’m following a lower-carb lifestyle and experimenting with no nightshades to relieve my joint issues, loaded potatoes are currently off the table. That’s where this incredible loaded cauliflower mash steps in. So similar to mashed potatoes that, really, it’s hard to tell the difference with flavorful toppings added.
And you betcha, I added ALL the toppings. Loads of cheddar, more bacon than I probably need, and loads of sliced green onions. SO good, you guys.
To make the cauliflower mash, you simply want to steam your cauliflower florets until they are overly soft. We want them to blend into a nice and smooth mash, so don’t be afraid to cook them a little extra. Add the cooked cauliflower to a blender or food processor and add in lots of butter, cream cheese and heavy cream.
Blend until it forms a nice and creamy mash that resembles mashed potatoes. Top with cheddar cheese and bacon and pop into the oven until the cheese is melted. Top with green onions and go to town! Mmmmmmm!
If you give this loaded cauliflower mash a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
Loaded Cauliflower Mash (Low-Carb, Nightshade-Free)
- 1 large head cauliflower chopped into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1.5 cups cheddar cheese (12 oz/200 g)
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (1 oz/30 g)
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 C).
- Add one inch of water to the bottom of a microwave safe container or a large pan. Steam cauliflower in microwave or in a pan over medium high heat until very soft. Drain liquid.
- To a blender or food processor, add the steamed cauliflower, butter, heavy cream and cream cheese. Blend until smooth, like mashed potatoes.
- Add cauliflower mash to an oven-safe dish and top with cheddar cheese and cooked bacon. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and cauliflower mash is hot.
- Top with chopped green onions. Enjoy!