A super quick and easy microwave strawberry shortcake, where the cake is made in a mug, the strawberry filling is microwaved and mashed to form a gooey and sweet layer, and the whipped cream is made fresh with a bit of added sweetness. Takes under 10 minutes, start to finish. Gluten-free, grain-free, ketogenic, low-carb with a dairy-free option.
Sometimes I am in the mood for a nice indulgent dessert, but the last thing on my mind after spending 30-45 minutes making a nice home-cooked dinner is also spending another hour prepping and baking a dessert. It’s just too much to ask of busy people. That’s when desserts such as this quick and easy microwave strawberry shortcake step in to save the day!
This recipe is ready in under 10 minutes, start to finish. Yes, that includes the cake itself, which is made in the microwave. For such a decadent dessert, it almost seems like cheating. But I promise, it’s just as good as the version that takes five times as long to make!
To make the cake, you’ll want to start by melting butter or coconut oil in a microwave safe dish. To the melted butter, add an egg, sweetener and some coconut flour. Mix thoroughly and microwave the mixture for two minutes.
If you can’t get the egg whites to thoroughly mix, it’s no big deal. Mine didn’t mix entirely, as you can see in the photos above, but it did not impact the taste. Set the cake aside to cool for a few minutes while we prep the other ingredients.
In another microwave safe dish, add fresh or frozen strawberries, a bit of lemon juice and vanilla extract. Microwave until the strawberries start to get a little gooey. You can mash them up with a fork if you don’t want them as chunky. If you would rather just cut up your strawberries and forgo the mashing and liquefying process, feel free to skip this step.
To make the whipped cream, I simply took heavy whipping cream and used a hand mixer until it became a whipped cream consistency, then I mixed in just a tad of sweetener. If you are avoiding dairy, you can simply use the solid part of a can of coconut milk (place in the fridge for about an hour, then scoop out the solid stuff), and whip that up.
Now for the fun part…simply cut your cake into slices and alternate layers of cake, strawberries and cream. Then it’s time to enjoy!
If you give this quick and easy microwave strawberry shortcake a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
Quick and Easy Microwave Strawberry Shortcake (Keto, Gluten-Free)
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil for dairy-free
- 1 tablespoon sweetener
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen strawberries 32 g
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sweetener of choice
- To make mug cake: Add butter to a mug and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Add sweetener, egg and coconut flour to the melted butter and mix to combine fully. Microwave mug cake for two minutes and let sit for several minutes until cool.
- To make strawberry filling: Add fresh/frozen strawberries to a microwave-safe container and microwave until slightly softened. Add lemon juice and vanilla extract, and mash until desired consistency.
- To make whipped cream: Add heavy whipping cream and sweetener to a small bowl and beat with a mixer until it becomes a whipped cream consistency.
- To assemble: Cut mug cake into two or three slices. Place first layer of mug cake on a plate and top with a layer of strawberry filling, followed by a scoop of whipped cream. Repeat until all slices of mug cake are used up.