This macadamia nut bread is buttery, fluffy and very versatile. Tastes just like traditional bread, and has a crusty outer layer and soft inside! Perfect for those following a gluten-free, grain-free, ketogenic, low-carb, Paleo or dairy-free lifestyle.
I’ve made several bread recipes in the past, but none quite as tasty and close to a traditional load as this macadamia nut bread. This recipe definitely takes the cake (bread), when it comes to low-carb and gluten-free breads.
This recipe was inspired by the lady in the documentary “The Magic Pill” who made a load of bread using ground macadamia nuts. I didn’t even know this was a THING. Once I saw how incredible her bread came out, I knew I had to try it.
So I used the macadamia nut idea and decided to experiment a bit until I found the one I liked best. I believe the recipe in the documentary used a large amount of coconut butter. While I do like me some coconut butter, I tried to keep this recipe slightly more affordable. That stuff is upwards of $10 a jar, and you need copious amounts for a loaf of bread!
By the way, if you haven’t seen The Magic Pill, I do recommend it. It’s a cool introduction to the ketogenic diet, especially for those who don’t know much about it. At the time I’m writing this, it’s free on Youtube.
So as I mentioned above, the base of this recipe is ground macadamia nuts. I used 5 oz, which in my case is a whole bag. Simply grind them up in a food processor or blender until they form a nut butter.
If you’re using a blender, you might need to add some liquid to get it to blend fully.
You can start adding in the eggs one at a time until there is enough liquid to blend it all up. Add in the rest of the eggs and blend until well-incorporated. Mix in the coconut flour, baking soda and apple cider vinegar.
Spray a bread pan and add in the dough. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the outside is nice and crispy. Allow to cool to room temperature.
I recommend storing at room temperature for 3-4 days, or in the fridge for up to a week. Works perfectly with some butter at dinner time, or for breakfast with some peanut butter or jam!
Macadamia Nut Bread (Keto, Paleo, Dairy-Free)
- 5 oz macadamia nuts I used the Royal Hawaiian brand
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (28 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To a blender or food processor, add macadamia nuts and pulse until it becomes a nut butter. If your blender does not do a good job without liquid, add in eggs one at a time until the consistency is that of a nut butter.
- Scrape down sides of blender or food processor, and add in remaining eggs. Blend until well-incorporated.
- Add in coconut flour, baking soda and apple cider vinegar and pulse until incorporated.
- Grease a standard-size bread pan and add in batter. Smooth surface of batter and place on bottom rack of oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 15-20 minutes before removing.
- Will store in an air-tight container at room temperature for 3-4 days at room temperature, or for one week in the fridge.