An incredibly simple and tasty Mexican rice casserole full of delicious peppers, onions, tomatoes, ground beef and of course, rice! Gluten-free, dairy-free and easy to make Paleo, low-carb and Whole30.
If you’re like me and are into finding the easiest of easy recipes, then you will love this Mexican rice casserole! It’s by far one of the simplest recipes I have made to date, and it’s one I have made a bunch of times since moving into the RV full time.
One pan meals have become a bit of a staple, since stove burner space is incredibly limited. Also, it’s been so hot lately that even one pan on the stove heats up the RV tremendously, let alone multiple pans!
We have an induction cooktop that allows us to cook outside, and let me tell you, it is a huge lifesaver. Granted, we do have air conditioning, but with it going and the vent fan going, it still gets super hot inside.
So one pan meals have really become our go-to dinner recipes. And if it feeds four, that’s even better because we have leftovers for lunch the next day! The less cooking, the better.
This Mexican rice casserole is so perfect because it’s not only incredibly simple, but it’s easy to customize. Sometimes I’m in the mood for some real rice, and other times I want some cauliflower rice to keep my meals lower carb.
It’s so easy to use either one here, and I have included the appropriate substitutions if you do choose to change it up.
Start by cooking your meat until it’s no longer pink. Totally up to you what kind you choose, they all work well here. Once the meat is mostly cooked, add in your peppers, onions, tomato paste and seasoning.
Cook until the peppers and onions begin to soften. You can use either fresh or frozen here, both work just fine. Next, you’ll add in either the rice or the cauliflower rice. If you use frozen cauliflower rice, I recommend thawing it out first.
Cook until the rice is done, making sure to stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Be sure to add in more water if the mixture begins to dry out. Once the rice is soft, mix in the spinach and stir until wilted. Top with cilantro and serve.
Mexican Rice Casserole
- 1 lb ground turkey, chicken, pork or beef (16 oz)
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 peppers diced
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, garlic powder and cumin
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice (135 g) or 8 oz cauliflower rice
- 2 cups water (16 oz) If using cauliflower rice, use 1/2 cup water instead. See note about frozen cauliflower rice*
- 4 oz fresh spinach
- handful fresh cilantro
- Cook ground meat in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Add in diced onion, peppers, tomato paste and seasoning. Saute for several minutes until the peppers and onions begin to soften.
- Add in rice and water. If using cauliflower rice, be sure to use the reduced amount of water. Cover and simmer over low until the rice softens. Stir occasionally to make sure there is no sticking or burning. If the water dries up, add more in a tablespoon or two at a time.
- Once the rice is done cooking, add in spinach and stir until wilted.
- Top with cilantro and serve with tortillas and/or desired toppings.