This easy homemade milk tea is a fun and customize-able drink to make at home! Can be made sugar-free, dairy-free and vegan.
Mmmm bubble tea.
I am someone who absolutely loved bubble tea from the first time I tried it. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but those who love it, totally know what I’m talking about.
My favorite variety has always been the milk tea. I’ve had so many varieties, but I always come back to just a few types…thai milk tea, chai milk tea and the standard black tea milk tea.
Sometimes the simplest is also the most delicious, wouldn’t you agree?
After being stuck at home for several months, I’ve really been hankering for a sweet tea drink. I always keep tapioca flour at home for thickening sauces, and only recently realized how easy it is to make your own boba aka tapioca pearls.
And once you can make those yourself, the tea part really isn’t hard to do yourself!
Even if you don’t want to put in the effort for the tapioca pearls, you can still totally make this recipe. There are tons of delicious tapioca pearls available online.
And if you have your own bubble tea or smoothie straws (either disposable, or reusable), then you are pretty much good to go!
A delicious, creamy drink
If you are using premade tapioca pearls, cook them according to the package directions. If you don’t have premade ones available, they are easy enough to make yourself. Click here for my homemade tapioca pearls recipe.
After they cook, set them aside to cool.
You’ll also need to prepare your tea of choice. For milk tea, I recommend using thai tea, chai tea, black tea or green tea, but any type of tea that pairs well with milk would work.
Steep the tea bags in hot water. Since we’re adding milk, the tea will be diluted in flavor. If you like your bubble tea to be strong in flavor, I recommend doubling the amount of tea bags for steeping, and steeping for longer than normal.
Allow the tea to come to room temperature.
When ready to prepare, split the tapioca pearls between two glasses. Split the ice, milk and tea between the two glasses. Add in stevia drops to taste, and mix with your bubble tea straw. Enjoy.
Do I need to add the cocoa powder to the homemade tapioca pearls?
No, you do not. The cocoa powder is for color though, so know that your tapioca pearls will have a clear color. The taste will not be impacted.
Can I prepare the tapioca pearls ahead of time and store them in the fridge?
I do not recommend this, because the tapioca pearls harden when they sit in the fridge for even several hours. I recommend preparing the tapioca pearls right when you are ready to consume the bubble tea.
If you give this easy homemade bubble tea a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
You may also enjoy:
Easy homemade milk tea
- 1 batch homemade tapioca pearls linked below, or two servings of premade tapioca pearls, cooked per package directions
- 1 handful ice
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk of choice 8 oz
- 2 cups steeped tea of choice cooled to room temperature, 16 oz
- 12-14 drops liquid stevia or to taste
- Steep your favorite type of tea (make it stronger by doubling the amount of tea bags) in two cups of water and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare tapioca pearls according to package directions, or make your own homemade tapioca pearls.
- Split cooked tapioca pearls between two large glasses. Add in ice, 1/2 cup of milk, and the steeped tea. Add drops of stevia to taste. Add in your bubble tea straw (either plastic or glass works), and stir to combine. Enjoy.