For those of you who love Whole30, but are trying to cut back on nightshades, this nightshade-free Indian saag with chicken is the best! Whole30, low-carb, with a vegan option.
I am always trying to come up with new and exciting recipes, but a lot of the ideas I come up with are not practical, weeknight recipes for when I’m tired and want something quick.
A lot of those extravagant recipes get thrown to the curb, in favor of more efficient recipes I can make a regular part of our dinner rotation. This Indian saag with chicken is not only quick, but it’s also nightshade-free AND Whole30!
AND I never even mentioned that it’s low-carb (you could even say keto) and can easily be made vegan by simply omitting the chicken and using coconut oil instead of butter or ghee. Super simple and works for so many different diets!
As mentioned above, making this delicious meal is not terribly challenging or time-consuming either. You’ll want to start by cooking up some chicken in a pan. Set it aside once cooked, and begin cooking some onions until translucent.
Add in the spices. For this, you will need some garam masala, turmeric, ginger, garlic and cumin. If you are avoiding nightshades, you will love this homemade nightshade-free garam masala recipe.
Stir all of the spices in with the onion, then add in some thawed spinach. You’ll likely want to use frozen for this recipe, since you will need a large amount of it, but fresh works too. Make sure you squeeze out the excess liquid from the spinach.
Next, you’ll want to add in the canned coconut cream, and mix until well-combined. Once the mixture has simmered for a few minutes, you can add the cooked chicken back in to let it heat back up. That’s it!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will love these similar recipes!
Indian Saag with Chicken (Whole30, Low-Carb)
- 2 tablespoons butter, ghee or coconut oil use coconut oil for vegan
- 1 lb boneless chicken omit for vegan (16 oz)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons garam masala click here for my homemade nightshade-free garam masala recipe.
- 1 inch piece fresh minced ginger
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 24 oz frozen spinach, thawed and excess water squeezed out
- Half of 13.66 oz. can coconut cream
- Add one tablespoon of butter, ghee or coconut oil to a pan.
- Add boneless chicken to pan and cook until no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from pan, slice into pieces and set aside.
- Add second tablespoon of butter, ghee or coconut oil to pan, along with chopped onion.
- Cook over medium heat until onion softens, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add in garam masala, minced ginger, minced garlic, turmeric and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Add in thawed spinach and coconut cream. Cook until well-combined, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add cut chicken back in, and allow to cook for 1-2 additional minutes, or until chicken warms back up.