Parmesan-crusted flounder that is flakey, buttery and crispy all at the same time! Dipped in egg, then coated in a Parmesan and coconut flour mixture, and gently baked in the oven. Low-carb, ketogenic, gluten-free, grain-free, pescatarian.
When it comes to fish, salmon has always been my go-to. There’s something so fantastic about a well-cooked piece of salmon, it’s so smooth, fatty and light.
When it comes to other fish, I haven’t branched out quite as much as I should. I’m not a huge fan of the fishy taste that a lot of seafood has, so I usually stick to my “comfortable” choices.
Flounder is a nice fish for someone who wants something mild-tasting and light. It goes very well with buttery and cheesy flavors, such as this Parmesan and coconut flour crust.
Also, I made mine using frozen flounder, because the selection at my grocery store is limited…and I think I really rocked the frozen fish this time. This is definitely going to be one of my go-to easy recipes in the future!
How to cook frozen fish and make it taste good?
It’s actually pretty simple! First thaw your fish according to the package. Next, you want to thoroughly dry it with paper towels and then toss a generous pinch of salt and pepper on each side. Now you’ll want to prep two bowls, one with a cracked and whisked egg, and another with your coconut flour and Parmesan mixture.
Alternatively, you could use all Parmesan, if you want your fish to be really cheesy. I imagine this would be downright delicious!
Coat the fish in the egg, and then bread with the Parmesan and coconut mixture. Take a baking sheet, and top with a metal cookie rack, and place the breaded fish on top. This helps the bottom of the fish to crisp up while it bakes.
Bake in the oven according to the package, then remove from oven and allow to cool before consuming. That’s all there is to it!
If you give this Parmesan-crusted flounder a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will also love these others:
Parmesan-Crusted Flounder (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)
- 4 servings (16 oz) flounder thawed, if frozen
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (25 g) Parmesan cheese alternatively, you can omit the coconut flour and double the Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (25 g) coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Pat thawed fish dry. In a bowl, crack and whisk egg. In a second bowl, add Parmesan cheese, coconut flour and salt.
- Coat pieces of fish in egg and then Parmesan coating.
- Place a baking rack on top of a baking dish. Gently place breaded fish on the rack. You want the fish elevated so that the juice drains, so you're left with nice crispy fish.
- Bake for approximately 12-14 minutes, or until the fish is fully opaque in color. If desired, broil fish for an additional 1-2 minutes to get it extra crispy.