It’s officially zucchini season in my container garden. It’s a good thing that I thoroughly enjoy zucchini, otherwise I would quickly get tired of eating it all of the time. Hopefully you guys appreciate as many zucchini-filled meals as I do.
It’s such a fantastic way to add lots of nutrient-filled veggies to your meals, while cutting back on those empty carbs such as pasta. Plus it’s delicious and light!
This recipe uses this scrumptious Lemon Basil Walnut Pesto that I posted previously. Other than the zucchini and pesto, all you need for this delicious recipe is some additional vegetables, such as peppers and onions or broccoli and carrots, and a meat of your choice.
I used peppers and onions, and some Italian chicken sausage. You can cook your meat in the pan first, then move it to a plate once it is done, and then toss it back in when the veggies are done cooking. That way, you reduce the amount of pans you need to clean.
Yay for saving time on dishwashing. If you use precooked sausage, as I did, you can just chop it up and toss it in just before serving. How easy can a recipe get?
Before you add in the pesto, I suggest draining the liquid out of the veggies after you cook them. The zucchini tends to release a good amount of liquid as it cooks. You don’t want all of that yummy pesto chillin’ in the bottom liquid, do you? I didn’t think so.
This meal comes together so fast that your family will be saying “dinner is ready already? I didn’t even realize you started cooking!” Ok, so maybe that’s a slight exaggeration, but it really is super quick!
If you use precooked sausage, I reckon you could have it ready in well under 30 minutes. Perhaps closer to 20 minutes, I dare ya!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy this recipe. It’s such a fantastic way to use up those delicious farmer’s market veggies that are so plentiful this time of year. I just love the freshness associated with this time of year. What is your favorite summer vegetable? Leave your response in the comments below!
Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Italian Sausage (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free)
- 3-4 zucchini
- Peppers and onions or another vegetable of your choice
- 1 serving of lemon basil walnut pesto
- 1 lb meat of choice. I used precooked Italian chicken sausage.
- Fresh basil for topping if desired
- pinch salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Using a mandoline slicer or spiralizer, create your zucchini noodles. I use this one
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat using olive oil, and cook meat until done.
- Remove meat from pan and set aside. Add additional olive oil to pan and heat zucchini and peppers and onions in pan until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Do not overcook or the zucchini will become mushy.
- Drain liquid from vegetables and remove from heat. Add pesto and sausage and mix together in pan. Top with fresh basil, lemon or parmesan cheese, if desired.