A delicious vegan pumpkin curry soup recipe, perfect for those cold and gloomy evenings. Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, vegan, low-carb, ketogenic.
I have not experimented much with curry in the past. However, I love curry when I eat out, and recently wondered why I hadn’t attempted to make it at home more. I’m so pleasantly surprised with how this pumpkin curry soup turned out, since I’m still somewhat of a curry-making newbie.
This vegan pumpkin curry soup is so easy to make, it takes just about 30 minutes from start to finish. It doesn’t get much quicker than that, especially for a soup recipe!
This pumpkin curry soup is chock-full of delicious vegetables. I used zucchini, carrot and mushrooms, but feel free to use whatever veggies you have around, or whatever is in season in your region at the moment. The possibilities are pretty much endless! I intended to add some spinach in here too, although somehow that slipped my mind. Oh well, it happens 😛
One thing I did not forget to add was the secret ingredient…peanut butter! Of course if you are sensitive to peanuts, feel free to omit it or substitute your favorite nut butter instead. I find that the peanut butter adds a bit of nuttiness and gives an extra depth of flavor that really elevates the soup to another level.
Another nice thing about curry is that it can so easily be customized for a wide variety of palates. If you really enjoy your curry hot and spicy, add in some extra curry paste, sriracha, or sambal oelek! You can also make the curry more on the bland side and add a spoonful of additional hot sauce into your own bowl.
Plus, you can add toppings to your own liking such as chopped peanuts, green onions and cilantro. Also, if you are not vegetarian or vegan, you can use bone broth in this recipe, that would give yet another level of complexity to the flavors. I will have to try that the next time I make this, yum!
I hope you all enjoy this vegan pumpkin curry soup. I’m a huge fan of comforting foods, and this one did not disappoint. Please leave a comment below if you made the soup and let me know what you think!
Pumpkin Vegetable Curry (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegan
- 1 can coconut milk or another type of nut milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth or bone broth for those who are not vegan
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1 can plain pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter if desired
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste
- sambal oelek if you like your curry spicy
- green onions
- Chopped peanuts
- pinch salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Chop carrots and onions. Saute in a large pot over medium heat until they begin to soften.
- Chop zucchini and mushrooms and add to pot. Add in all remaining soup ingredients and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover pot and turn heat down to medium low. Let soup simmer for another 5-10 minutes. At the point where all the vegetables are soft, the soup is done.
- Top with additional spices and seasoning, if desired.