Fresh raspberries are one of my favorite treats. They pack a mean antioxidant punch that leaves me feeling blissful after the sweet indulgence. Buying fresh berries that are flown in from South America during the winter feels downright sinful.
I’m not going to lie, I do indulge occasionally, but I will often find myself wondering how much fuel went into getting them to me.
Frozen berries just aren’t the same in my mind. But when it comes to cooking, I find that they do the trick in a pinch. Especially when I am longing for those fresh and local berries at the Farmer’s Market, those frozen ones can sufficiently quench my thirst.
That’s where this raspberry lemon cobbler comes in. A berry indulgence that can be made regardless of the time of year – fresh or frozen berries of your choice. It only takes 15 minutes to prep, then a little longer to cook ‘er up!
All it takes is a little time to mix the berries in with some lemon juice and vanilla extract for the filling. The topping is just as easy – all you need are some nuts of your choice, coconut oil or butter (I believe applesauce would work too, although I have not tried it yet), brown sugar and lemon zest.
Pulse it in the blender or food processor and you have one incredibly tasty topping. Really, it’s simply amazing.
The possibilities are pretty much endless when it comes to flavor combinations here. You could even try tripling the recipe and putting it in a pie pan to enjoy with the entire family.
I definitely think my next dessert experiment will be an apple cobbler with a cinnamon crust, loosely following this same recipe.
The crust for this raspberry lemon cobbler is so versatile, that I think it just stepped up my dessert game! Let me know in the comments below what your favorite flavor combination is for a cobbler, I would love to hear them all!
Raspberry Lemon Cobbler for Two (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegan)
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries or other berry of choice
- 3/4 cup pecans, almonds or walnuts I used half pecans and half almonds
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, butter or applesauce
- 1/2 lemon juice and zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- If using frozen raspberries, thaw them out for an hour or two, or in the fridge overnight.
- Drain liquid from thawed berries (skip if using fresh). Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract along with juice from 1/2 of a lemon to the berries, and mix to combine.
- While the berries are marinating in the vanilla and lemon, melt coconut oil or butter.
- Using a blender or food processor, pulse the nuts together until they are well blended. Mix in melted coconut oil, lemon zest and brown sugar.
- Spoon half of berry mixture into each ramekin. Top each with half of nut mixture.
- Bake at 375F for 20 - 25 minutes.