This butternut squash chicken risotto is a delicious fall comfort meal. It is super filling and free from the most common allergens. Gluten-free, dairy-free.
A simple, hearty meal for busy nights!
To be honest, risotto is not something I commonly make. I can’t say that I’ve ever really craved it or scour the menu looking for at a nice restaurant.
But sometimes, it’s good to get outside of the box and try things that are unexpected. I am definitely happy I did, because this butternut squash chicken risotto was delicious!
Nutty, cozy and super flavorful, it is a fantastic one-pan meal for busy nights. It only takes 20 minutes or so to pull together, and you will definitely be happy you did!
Quick and easy to make in just one pan.
To make this tasty risotto, you will want to start by adding some olive oil in and turning the heat to medium. Add in a diced onion and several cloves of minced garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Add in rice and chicken broth, and cover. Cook for the time on the package of rice, making sure to stir occasionally and adjust the heat as needed to avoid spilling liquid.
Add in the frozen butternut squash (or fresh!), as well as your precooked chicken and spinach, broccoli or another veggie of choice. Cook until the veggies are all warm.
Add in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and stir to mix. Remove from heat and allow to cool before consuming. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Can I use another type of rice?
You sure can. Simply adjust the cook time and ratio of chicken broth to match the rice you want to use. Please note that you may need more or less rice than the recipe calls for, depending on whether you use instant rice or not.
You may also enjoy:
Butternut Squash Chicken Risotto
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen butternut squash pieces
- 1 lb precooked chicken, diced
- 12 oz spinach
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch fresh pepper, or to taste
- To a large skillet, add a tablespoon of olive or coconut oil, and add in diced onion and minced garlic. Cook until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add rice and chicken broth. Turn heat to medium and cover. Cook for the time indicated on the rice package, and then add in frozen butternut squash, precooked chicken and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted and the butternut squash is warm.
- Add in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and stir to mix.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before consuming. Store leftovers in an air-tight container for 3-4 days.