A delicious fall favorite, these stuffed sweet potatoes are loaded with apples, sweet chicken sausage and cinnamon butter! Paleo, Whole30, dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, animal-based.
I tend to struggle with dry eyes when my omega 3 to 6 ratio is out of whack, and eating a low-carb diet seems to exacerbate this problem. One of the things that seems to help tremendously is occasionally eating some good old beta carotene in the form of sweet potatoes, carrots and squash.
While these foods are usually not a part of a low-carb, ketogenic style diet, I do not consider myself strictly keto, and do periodically increase my carbs whenever I feel the need.
My carbs of choice are usually sweet potatoes, carrots, plantains and rice. I find that I can tolerate these well, and they are all fairly low in mold, from my experience.
So when I’m craving some sweet potato, I usually find myself making some sort of stuffed sweet potato, or this sweet potato apple chicken sausage skillet, both of which are Whole30 compliant!
What I like about this recipe in particular is that it takes less than 20 minutes to pull together. If you’re pressed for time, this one is definitely quick, thanks to the glorious invention of the microwave. Simply poke holes and microwave for 5-8 minutes.
And if you’re someone who prefers to roast, rather than microwave, I’ve got you covered as well. Simply roast in the oven until tender.
Unfortunately, we don’t have an oven in our RV, so the microwave is all I have to work with. Someday I’ll ditch the microwave, but for now I’ll work with what I have.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, slice your chicken sausage up, and cut the apples into cubes. Cook both on the stove until the apples begin to soften. If you’re using precooked sausage, you’re good to go. If you are using uncooked sausage, be sure to cook the sausage thoroughly.
Once the sweet potatoes are cooked and have cooled enough to be handled, slice them in half and stuff with the apple and chicken sausage mixture.
Top with some butter and ghee and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (Paleo, Whole30)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 12 oz chicken apple sausage I love the Aidell's brand, which is Whole30 compliant
- 2 medium apples I like the tartness of mcintosh apples
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash sweet potatoes, then poke with a fork in several places. Microwave for 5-8 minutes, or roast in the oven at 400F for 45-50 minutes, or until tender all the way through. Remove from microwave or oven and allow to cool.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, slice chicken apple sausage and cut apples into cubes.
- Add to a pan over medium heat and cook until the apples begin to soften. If using Aidell's chicken sausage, it is already thoroughly cooked. If using another brand, be sure to cook until done, if necessary.
- Slice cooled sweet potatoes down the center and stuff with sausage and apple mixture.
- Top with a spoonful of butter or ghee and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!