Summer squash lasagna, looks and tastes very similar to a traditional lasagna recipe but much healthier! Make with either zucchini or yellow squash that is thinly sliced lengthwise with either a mandoline slicer or a knife. Gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb and ketogenic. In the mood for some Italian comfort food but you are trying to cut back on gluten or carbs? Are you looking for a healthier option and want to incorporate more vegetables into your diet?
This summer squash lasagna is the perfect option for any of the above, or for really any reason at all! You don’t need to have an excuse to give it a try. If you enjoy the taste of a traditional lasagna, I promise you’ll enjoy the taste of this summer squash lasagna.
Everything is essentially the same with the exception of the noodles. It’s as simple as that!
To make the squash lasagna noodles, I used a mandoline slicer and simply sliced the squash lengthwise. You can use either zucchini or yellow squash. I am partial to the look of the yellow squash, if you’re going for that traditional lasagna look.
If you do not own a mandoline slicer, no worries! You can also simply slice the squash thinly with a sharp knife. I recommend somewhere around 1/4-1/3 of an inch in thickness (6-8 mm) for the slices.
I previously made a Mexican enchilada lasagna recipe, where I discussed more about the process of making the noodles and the lasagna itself.
To assemble the lasagna, start by laying the squash slices in the bottom of a baking dish. It works best if you alternate the direction of the layers, that way the lasagna holds its shape better when you take the slices out of the pan.
Doesn’t that look simply delicious?
If you give this summer squash lasagna a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will also love these other keto recipes!
Summer Squash Lasagna
- 2 large zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 lb ground turkey, chicken or beef (16 oz)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 400F (200 C)
- Cook ground turkey, chicken or beef in a large pan on the stove over medium heat, until no longer pink (approximately 5-7 minutes).
- While the turkey is cooking, prepare the squash. Cut off the ends, and using a mandoline slicer or knife, slice squash lengthwise into long thin strips that resemble lasagna noodles. Approximately 1/4"-1/3" (6-8 mm) is an ideal thickness.
- Place one layer of squash on the bottom of a baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese with 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and the garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt. The sauce will help to make the ricotta a bit more liquid, so it can be more easily spread out on top of the zucchini.
- Add approximately 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on top of the zucchini in the dish. Using a spoon, spread out mixture evenly.
- Add approximately 1/4 of the remaining tomato sauce, 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the cooked meat.
- Repeat process to form three layers.
- On top of the third layer, add remaining ingredients and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until you can easily slide a fork into the zucchini without much resistance.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes before serving.