A healthy and hearty salad, this sweet and salty autumn salad with a raspberry vinaigrette is perfect for when the weather begins to turn chilly, but you’re still cravings fresh greens. Low-carb, Paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, vegetarian, vegan.
I’ve mentioned before that there are a lot of foods I would prefer to eat than salads, but that’s because I just hadn’t found the right flavor combination yet.
When it comes to salads, I usually just stick to the boring old “side salad” that you’d find in a restaurant. Some iceberg lettuce, carrots, a few tomatoes and a few cucumbers.
I don’t usually make salads the centerpiece of my meals, but when it comes to this sweet and salty autumn salad with a raspberry vinaigrette, I could eat it for every meal.
If you’re not quite convinced that salads are your meal of choice, then maybe this one will change your mind. It’s got plenty of sweetness, but also plenty of salty for a nice compliment.
So if you’re interested in this marvelous dish, then let’s get started on how to make it! It’s fairly simple to assemble, and if you microwave the acorn squash, it’s even easier!
That’s right, I said you can microwave the acorn squash. Grab a nice sharp knife, then cut it into pieces. Toss the pieces in a microwave-safe dish with a bit of water, and microwave for 10-20 minutes, depending on the size of the squash. You’ll know it’s done when the squash is nice and tender. See, MUCH faster than roasting in the oven.
The rest of the salad is super simple. I used the following:
- Arugula and spinach blend
- Pomegranate seeds
- Roasted and salted almonds
- Feta cheese (omit for Paleo and dairy-free, or replace with a non-dairy cheese)
- Sliced apples
Simple assemble, then add in the roasted acorn squash. Top with the raspberry vinaigrette, which is really just the following:
- Crushed raspberries
- Apple cider vinegar
- Avocado or olive oil
- Stevia, or another sweetener, if desired
If you give this sweet and salty autumn salad with a raspberry vinaigrette a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
Sweet and Salty Autumn Salad with a Raspberry Vinaigrette (Low-Carb, Paleo)
- 1/2 small acorn squash
- 4 cups spinach and arugula blend (3 oz)
- 1/2 apple, sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (38 g) omit for Paleo, Whole30, and vegan, or replace with a dairy-free cheese
- 1/4 pomegranate worth of seeds
- 1/4 cup almonds, roasted and salted (35 g) chopped into pieces
- 1/2 batch simple raspberry vinagrette click here for the recipe
- Cut acorn squash into small slices. Place slices into a microwave-safe container and add enough water to cover the bottom of the container.
- Cook until tender, approximately 10-20 minutes depending on microwave power and size of squash.
- Drain water, and allow acorn squash to cool while assembling the rest of the salad. Sprinkle squash with salt. Assemble the rest of the salad, including the spinach and arugula, sliced apples, feta cheese, pomegranate seeds, and almonds.
- Assemble simple raspberry vinaigrette.
- Add cooled acorn squash to the salad, then top with raspberry vinaigrette.