A simple one pan meal, this sweet potato, bacon and feta skillet is also filled with lots of veggies! Well rounded and delicious, a huge hit for the whole family! Gluten-free, grain-free, and easy to make Paleo and Whole30 by omitting the feta.
If you’re looking for a meal with the perfect balance of sweet and salty, then my-oh-my, you have come to the right place! You’re in for a real treat with this sweet potato, bacon and feta skillet. Not only is it delicious tasting (bacon, duh), but its also filled with nutrient-packed veggies and tangy feta cheese.
If you’re a firm believer in balancing flavor profiles, then this one is for you. It’s sophisticated enough for the snobby adults, but also friendly enough to please the kids as well. It works great as a side dish at a potluck, or as a main course for a simple one pan meal.
There is a little trick to making this meal come out perfectly, and that is to chop and then cook the bacon until it’s nice and crispy. Then you’ll want to remove it from the pan and use the drippings to cook the remaining ingredients.
Start with the sweet potatoes, since they take the longest to cook. Once they’re almost done, add in the sliced zucchini. Once the zucchini is cooked, drain the excess bacon grease, if necessary.
Once everything is cooked to your liking, add in the fresh spinach and simply stir until wilted. Toss the bacon back in and mix. Top with feta, if desired, then serve.
To make this meal Paleo and Whole30 friendly, simply choose a sugar-free and nitrate-free bacon, and omit the feta cheese. I promise you won’t miss it because the sweet potato and bacon combination is already sweet and salty on its own!
If you give this sweet potato, bacon and feta skillet a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
Sweet Potato, Bacon and Feta Skillet (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free)
- 1 lb (16 oz) bacon, chopped into small pieces use sugar and nitrate free for Whole30
- 2 medium sweet potatoes diced into 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) cubes
- 3 medium zucchini sliced
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 4 oz feta cheese omit for Whole30 and Paleo
- Start by adding chopped bacon to a pan over medium heat. You do not need to add any oil since the bacon will generate grease.
- Once the bacon is done, set aside and cook the sweet potatoes in the bacon grease. Once sweet potatoes are almost done, add in the zucchini and cover for several minutes.
- Once zucchini begin to soften, drain some of the bacon grease, if there is too much. You want somewhere between 1-2 tablespoons still left in the pan to do the remaining cooking, and for more flavor.
- Toss in the fresh spinach and cook until wilted and until the zucchini is to your liking.
- Top with feta cheese and serve.