An incredibly healthy, tasty and easy sweet potato chicken sausage skillet chock-full of kale, sweet potato, apples and chicken sausage. Whole30-compliant, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, Paleo.
In January of 2017, I completed my first Whole 30. It was both challenging and empowering. I did not do it to lose weight. I mainly did it to better understand the food sensitivities that I have. I’ve know for awhile now that gluten is the cause of my migraine headaches.
Cutting that out has almost completely eliminated those. I did however, still have some other inexplicable issues that I hoped to diagnose with Whole 30. I’m happy to report that it was a success. I now feel better and healthier than I have in as long as I can remember.
Since then, I have taken what I learned and tried my best to not fall back into my old habits too much. This simple sweet potato chicken sausage skillet is one that I often will turn to when I want something simple that I know will keep me on track. It always turns out great, and can be easily customized depending on what veggies you have available.
This sweet potato chicken sausage skillet is a great go-to meal made using just a few simple ingredients. Sweet potatoes, kale, apples and chicken sausage are all you need to create this mouth-watering masterpiece.
I first start by cooking up the chicken sausage in the pan with a dab of olive oil. You can opt to use pre-cooked chicken sausage (my go to while on Whole 30 was the Aidell’s brand), in which case you can skip this step. Cook thoroughly and then set aside.
Next, you’ll want to cook up the sweet potatoes in the pan with some additional olive oil. You’ll want to cook them until you can at least cut them with your cooking utensil.
They don’t need to be totally done though, because we will still be cooking them for another 10 minutes or so. It took about 20 minutes while cooking them on medium, to get to this point. Be sure to add more oil as needed.
Now it’s time for the apples! Add them into the skillet, along with the cooked chicken sausage. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the apples soften a bit. I like mine to still have a bit of a crunch, so I did not overcook. This is purely your preference though.
Once the apples are just the way you like them, add in the kale. Cook until the kale has begun to wilt, another 3-5 minutes.
All done! It really doesn’t get much easier than this, guys. I hope you enjoy this super-tasty sweet potato chicken sausage skillet. Leave a comment below if you try it, and let me know what you think 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe, I think you would also love these other Whole30 recipes.
One Skillet Sweet Potato, Kale, Apple Chicken Sausage (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Whole 30)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 apples of your choice cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I used Fuji)
- Half of a medium bunch kale torn into pieces, about 6 stems
- 1 lb. chicken sausage (for Whole 30 I recommend the Aidell's brand)
- Salt and pepper to taste I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Cut up chicken sausage or leave whole if desired. Saute in skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Set aside when thoroughly cooked.
- Saute sweet potato cubes in pan over medium heat with olive oil, until cooked enough to cut with your utensil, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add in kale, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Add in apples and cook until desired level of softness is achieved. Toss cooked chicken back on top and cook covered for 1-2 more minutes to let it warm back up.