Sweet Thai almond butter chicken and vegetables, made with a creamy coconut milk and almond butter sauce. A quick meal for a busy night. Gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, ketogenic, Paleo, low-carb.
I am usually able to eat peanut butter without feeling too horrible, but this past weekend, I ate some that was seriously moldy. And no, I don’t mean that it had visible mold on it. What I mean is that I am one of the lucky ones who is particularly sensitive to mold in foods.
Peanut butter has always been one of my favorite foods, but this past experience is making me really rethink whether it is worth it to have it in my diet. I had issues with dizziness, headaches, mood swings and digestive issues, all classic mold exposure symptoms that crop up when I eat something tainted.
Almonds on the other hand, I seem to be completely fine with. They are considered a low mold nut, and I have never had a reaction to them. So for when my peanut butter cravings set in, I try to still make some of the recipes that I used to add peanut butter to, like this incredibly delicious Thai chicken and veggies dish.
The sauce is incredibly simple to make. It’s nice and creamy thanks to the coconut milk. I use full-fat coconut milk to increase the healthy fat content, but you can use your favorite milk of choice if you prefer. Add the nut butter, coconut milk, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), chili sauce, sweetener and apple cider vinegar to a blender and pulse until combined.
In the mean time, add your veggies to a pan with some water and steam them until fork tender.
Move to a bowl and cook the chicken with a bit of coconut oil until fully cooked. Add the veggies back in, along with the sauce and stir to combine. That’s all there is too it! Serve with chopped nuts, fresh cilantro, limes, and rice or cauliflower rice, if you prefer.
If you enjoyed this sweet Thai almond butter chicken and veggies, please be sure to follow us on Pinterest and Facebook, so you don’t miss any future recipes! You may also like this Asian-inspired peanut sauce.
Sweet Thai Almond Butter Chicken and Veggies
Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup almond butter or peanut butter if you aren't sensitive
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, full fat
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 medium heads broccoli
- 3 large carrots
- cooked rice or cauliflower rice if desired
- Chopped nuts if desired
- Slice chicken into thin pieces. While prepping the following steps, add sliced chicken to a bowl with 1 tablespoon of coconut aminos and a pinch of salt. Let marinate in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Chop broccoli and carrots and steam in a large pan with 1/2 inch of water. Drain leftover water and move steamed veggies to a bowl.
- Add chicken to the pan with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Cook over medium heat until fully cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, add all sauce ingredients to a blender. Pulse until fully combined. Add more liquid or peanut butter if necessary to achieve the desired thickness.
- Add veggies back into pan with chicken. Mix in sauce and stir until combined. Serve with a side of rice, chopped nuts, cilantro or other toppings.