These double chocolate chip banana cookies are super-soft and moist for a delicious treat. Sweetened with bananas and a little additional sweetener, if you desire. Paleo, gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free.
It’s been awhile since I posted a cookie recipe. In fact, the last one I posted was my chai shortbread cookie recipe back at the beginning of April. I do occasionally like something sweet, but when I’m following a low-carb way of eating, as I usually do, I find that my craving for sweet things has really diminished.
I certainly do like to indulge in a bit of dessert every now and again though, don’t get me wrong. When that urge strikes, I do like to stick to either a natural sweetener, such as stevia, or a bit of naturally sweet fruit, such as bananas. Refined sugar makes me feel like a zombie, and I do like my brain best when it is not zombiefied.
Of course from the title, you already expect that bananas will be making a starring appearance in these cookies, and they certainly do!
These double chocolate chip banana cookies are pretty much everything you would expect, according to the name, but they are also a lot more. They are nice and moist, and have a kind of cake-like texture. As I was eating one, I thought to myself that these could also make incredible muffins if I just tweaked the recipe slightly.
They are also one of the easiest cookie recipes I have ever made. You only need one bowl and you’re good to go. I recommend using fairly ripe bananas, but yellow bananas are just fine if you don’t want super-sweet cookies.
Start by mashing the bananas in the bowl with a fork. It’s ok if there are some small clumps, but you don’t want big chunks of banana in the cookies.Add in your eggs, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract, and mix until well-incorporated.
Stir in cocoa powder, sweetener and baking soda. Slowly add in the coconut flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips and spoon onto a baking sheet. The batter should make approximately 8-10 cookies.
If you give these double chocolate chip banana cookies a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
Double Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies
- 2 bananas, ripe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar, sweetener or coconut sugar (32 g), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (43 g)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (32 g)
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 C).
- Mash two ripe bananas in a large bowl with a fork. Small clumps are ok, but you do not want any big chunks remaining.
- Add in two eggs and mix until well-incorporated with mashed bananas. Add apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract and mix again.
- To the wet ingredients, mix in the cocoa powder, sweetener, and baking soda. Mix until well incorporated. Add in coconut flour a small amount at a time and stir. If 1/3 cup is not enough, add more until you can form the dough into balls. Mix in chocolate chips at the end.
- Place cookies onto a parchment paper or silicone mat lined baking sheet. The dough should make approximately 8-10 cookies.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet before removing.