Gluten-free grilled chicken Parmesan. The chicken is seasoned and grilled, then topped with flavorful marinara sauce, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese, and broiled until the cheese is bubbly and browned. Serve with your favorite vegetable and a gluten-free pasta of choice, and you have a perfect meal! Gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, ketogenic.
So I’m going to be completely honest. This recipe was supposed to be a grilled chicken Parmesan slider recipe, but sometimes plans change.
The buns I made were just too small for these gargantuan chicken breasts, so I made a more traditional chicken Parmesan dish instead, except with a twist, because that is what I do.
I promise at some point I will do a post for tasty chicken Parmesan sliders, because they would be the perfect party food, if I could just get the buns right!
This grilled chicken Parmesan is undeniably tasty, and much healthier than the usual fried stuff. Although, I must say, if you’re going to indulge in some guilt-free fried food, this gluten-free fried chicken is the way to go.
But honestly, you won’t miss the breading here because these grilled chicken breasts are so tender and juicy. Plus, I added a fair amount of seasoning, which really makes these into something memorable.
To make the grilled chicken Parmesan, you’ll want to start by slicing or pounding your chicken breasts pretty thin. I did mine about 1/2 inch thick, which worked well.
Generously season your chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning and place it on the grill. You can use a regular grill or a George Foreman, whatever works for you.
When the chicken is cooked through, remove from grill and place into a baking dish in a single layer. Top with a tablespoonful of seasoned tomato sauce and a generous amount of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, enough to cover most of the sauce.
Place under the broiler until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before consuming.
Can I make this dairy-free?
Yes, you can! There are lots of good dairy-free cheese options out there, I like the Kite Hill brand.
I don’t have a grill. Can I still make these?
Yes, you can! You can cook them on a grill pan, or in a regular pan, or even roast them in the oven. You should get a similar result this way.
I hope you enjoy this grilled chicken Parmesan. If you tried it, be sure to let me know what you think in the comment section below.
Gluten-Free Grilled Chicken Parmesan
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts sliced thinly
- 4 oz tomato sauce Italian seasoned. For low-carb, be sure to use a sauce without added sugar! Rao's is a great brand, or you can get canned tomato sauce and add your own seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Season raw chicken with Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt. Grill chicken until no longer pink.
- Place grilled chicken in a baking dish and top with a tablespoon of tomato sauce, spread around to cover the top. Place a generous amount of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top of each breast.
- Place in the oven under the broiler for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown.
- Allow to cool before handling.