These pineapple chicken kabobs are fantastic for anyone looking for a fun party recipe, or can be made for a family dinner in the oven simply by baking and broiling! The chicken is marinated in a pineapple honey sauce and then placed on the skewer between layers of red onion and pineapple. Paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar free.
Things are finally warming up here in the Northeast and I must say, I could not be more excited for the coming warm weather. Summer is definitely my favorite time of year, and in celebration of the coming outdoor festivities, I just could not resist making some pineapple chicken kabobs! I have to admit that it is still too cold here to really be doing any grilling yet, so I decided to give these a shot in the oven.
I must say, they are nearly just as good as the grilled version! I baked them until the chicken was cooked through, then cranked up the heat and broiled them until the edges began to char. I’m not one to really enjoy burnt food, so when it comes to grilling, I usually end up picking off the burnt edges anyway.
Once of the nice things about making these in the oven is that you can more easily control the burning by simply cooking them longer at a lower temperature, and then broiling for just a few minutes so they crisp up just a bit. With that being said, these are totally perfect on the grill too. That’s what they’re made for, of course! You really can’t go wrong either way.
In terms of ingredients, I’m sure you can see that I used alternating layers of chicken, pineapple and red onion. The chicken was marinated in a pineapple honey sauce, using pineapple juice, coconut aminos, honey and garlic powder.
And let me tell you, this one was a REAL winner. Delicious. Amazing. Really, it was perfect. I let it marinate with the chicken in the fridge for about 3 hours, and after being cooked, it was so flavorful and had a nice little crisp on the outside. The flavor was just fantastic, and was perfectly complimented by the juicy pineapple and tangy red onion.
If you give these pineapple chicken kabobs a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
Pineapple Chicken Kabobs (Paleo, Gluten-Free)
- 1 lb chicken breasts or boneless thighs, cut into 2 inch cubes (0.45 kg)
- 2-20 oz cans cubed pineapples or approximately 1 fresh pineapple, cored
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1 inch cubes
For Chicken Marinade
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice from can (60 mL)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch Salt
- Prepare the grill, or preheat oven to 400F (200 C) if baking.
- Mix all marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add in chicken and stir to coat fully. Add more marinade if the chicken is not fully covered.
- Let marinate for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- If using bamboo skewers, let them soak in water so they do not catch fire while grilling or broiling.
- Alternate layers of chicken, pineapple and red onion on skewers, and place on the grill or in the oven until cooked through (approximately 20 minutes, in oven. Grill time will vary)
- If baking, turn heat up to broil, and allow kabobs to broil for a few minutes, or until the edges begin to char.
- Let cool before consuming.