Savory cheddar zucchini waffles made using cheddar cheese, shredded zucchini and coconut flour. Super simple and delicious. Gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, ketogenic.
If any of you have been following my recent recipes, you may know that I attempted a pumpkin waffle recipe that ended up being the worst (and also the most comical, looking back now) waffle failure imaginable.
Let’s just say that the dough ended up so crumbly that the end product did not even remotely resemble a waffle. Not to mention that I completely forgot to spray the waffle maker before I poured the dough in. Totally a derp moment there. Well, I am happy to report that I have re-awoken my waffle skills with these savory cheddar zucchini waffles.
For those of you thinking “but I don’t own a waffle maker,” don’t you worry. These can easily be made into fritters by simply pan frying them. No special equipment required!
There is so much I could say about these delicious waffles. They’re soft, and moist, but also have a nice structure and crispness on the outside due to the cheese.
These waffles are perfect for breakfast, but I also can see them being made for dinner as a nice accompaniment to some bacon or sausage and a giant heap of fresh vegetables. Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner anyway?
These waffles are really easy to make. All you have to do is mix all of the ingredients together and pop them in your waffle maker or a pan. You can use whatever kind of flour you want, you will just need to modify the amount.
I have not tried to make it with anything but coconut flour though, so you will have to play around with the amount. I suggest adding it slowly so you do not dry out the batter. You do want it to be thicker than a typical waffle batter is though. Be sure to oil your pan or waffle maker before you add the batter.
I hope you all enjoy these delicious cheddar zucchini waffles. If you are a fan of this recipe, be sure to check out some of my other recipes. I think you’ll really enjoy them!
Savory Cheddar Zucchini Waffles (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian)
- 1 zucchini medium-sized, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp Salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour Add more if necessary to thicken dough
- Olive oil spray
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Add the coconut flour last in small amounts. You may need more or less flour than 1/4 cup, depending on how watery the zucchini is.
- Spray waffle maker and cook waffles for 5-10 minutes each. Makes approx. 4 waffles. If making into zucchini fritters, add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and allow it to heat for a few minutes before adding a spoonful of dough. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Makes about 8-10 fritters, depending on size.